Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,494   Online: 1267

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

beginner - 24 exp. vs 36 exp in diluted xtol

I know it's a really stupid question that am 99 % sure i know the answer to. I am going to start developing at home Foma and fuji across in diluted xtol probably either 1: or 1:3. I'm aware of the 100 ml minimum of xtol. My question is do I need to adjust time or anything if I'm developing a 24 exposure roll versus a 36 exposure roll? I'm all excited about getting started with this. When She Who Must Be Obeyed saw the cost savings she allowed that Santa would likely bring what I need. I just can't F up the spare bathroom when I develop there

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't have to adjust the time, it is the same. I pefer the shorter rolls. I use my RB67 with the 120 backs which only have 10 expourses.

Jeff

foc

Shooter
    35mm
    When developing B&W 35mm films it doesn't matter if they are 24 or 36 exp. If you developing tank says 300ml for 1 film then you use 150ml of water and 150ml of Xtol (1+1) or 200ml of water and 100ml of Xtol (1+3).

Since you are using the developer as a one shot (use once and throw away) then it doesn't matter if the film is 24 or 36 exp, it's the amount of solution needed to cover the film dev spool that matters.

Some dev tanks allow two 35mm films to be developed at the same time but make sure that both films have the same developing time in Xtol, otherwise develope them seperately.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Jeff, figured no adjustments were needed but just wanted to make sure. I have been known to overthink things. What got me thinking was the fact the shorter rolls are only 2/3 the surface area.I'll be doing some 120 as well found a pentax 645 in my price range a couple months back,well it was my early birthday and Christmas present. I was lucky to survive that deal as it was done without consultation a pristine body with cap, strap and large eyecup for $100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The time needs no adjustment. IF you are using more solution than needed to cover the film in order to get the minimum amount of stock developer needed per roll, then you may be able to use 2/3s as much stock for the shorter rolls, provided there is still enough diluted developer to cover the film. Personally, developer is cheap, and Xtol only comes in those horrible 5L sizes anyway, so I'd just use the full amount.

I prefer shorter rolls too. I load 24 from bulk rolls. When I buy commercial loads though I most often go ahead and get 36s because the cost per frame is lower than 24, even if I stop the roll short of using all 36.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryP View Post
    When She Who Must Be Obeyed ...
    Words of Wisdom #1:
    After serving for 24 years, I declared myself a free agent.
    I got the two children; she got my dog.
    Now I no longer have a Higher Power.
    The new models have more features, have much lower mileage and are virtually maintenance free.
    Life is good!

Words of Wisdom #2:
    XTOL replenished not only lasts longer than diluted XTOL, but also it produces a smoother range of tones, and it is cheaper per processed rolls of film.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak no longer recomends any Xtol dilution greater than 1:1. Follow their advice.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Words of Wisdom #1:
    Words of Wisdom #2:
    XTOL replenished not only lasts longer than diluted XTOL, but also it produces a smoother range of tones, and it is cheaper per processed rolls of film.

Steve
    A "smoother" tonal range has never been demonstrated. Replenishment could have tiny effects on graininess and sharpness vs stock. But the use of replenished developers should not be compared to the use of diluted developers. There are different reasons for each practice. Solvent developers such as XTOL diluted say 1+3 can have useful contrast control effects, in addition to being sharp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're using stainless reels, you may find the shorter length a bit easier to load.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Kodak no longer recomends any Xtol dilution greater than 1:1. Follow their advice.
    Why? Is this a general "follow the instructions" rule of thumb (in which case I heartily don't agree, though agree it's usually a good place to start) or based on some negative experience with Xtol diluted more than 1+1?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin