Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,544   Online: 1124

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: I give up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    We're not all American!
    Steve.
    I think the sentiment of my comment applies equally to people in the UK supporting Ilford. The same applies to Japan and Fuji. Kodak, Ilford, and Fuji remain the three top tier film manufactures that are left. If you want quality you need to support them. Being American I support Kodak first.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haven't you forgotten Agfa-Gevaert a company that makes Ilford and parts of Kodak look like dwarfs, a company that still produces B/W Film, Aerial Film, Microfilm, Glass Plates and last but not least motion picture release stock (equal to Kodaks). I understand your point but if everyone thought so Kodak would loose it's business outside of the US causing instant Bankcruptcy and I wonder how many of Kodak's biggest stock(share)holders actually are US citizens or companies? Buying because the Q.C. is better than the competitors is ok but buying for nationalistic reasons means shooting oneself in the foot.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer Tri-X in all formats that use (120, 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10). I know this film and my development processes inside and out. I live with the upsides of Tri-X and its downsides too, but at least I know what I am dealing with. I suppose this is possible with other films, but I really hope that I never have to go through the full testing process to establish a proper EI and all my development times for use with the zone system. In the end I think of myself as making prints and everything that leads up to that end is negotiable. However, I would prefer that Kodak hold on and keep producing Tri-X for at least another 40 years. Why 40 years you might ask? In 40 years I will either be way too old for making prints or in a place where prints are the last thing on my mind. I will do my part and keep buying Tri-X every week to stock my freezer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Haven't you forgotten Agfa-Gevaert a company that makes Ilford and parts of Kodak look like dwarfs, a company that still produces B/W Film, Aerial Film, Microfilm, Glass Plates and last but not least motion picture release stock (equal to Kodaks). I understand your point but if everyone thought so Kodak would loose it's business outside of the US causing instant Bankcruptcy and I wonder how many of Kodak's biggest stock(share)holders actually are US citizens or companies? Buying because the Q.C. is better than the competitors is ok but buying for nationalistic reasons means shooting oneself in the foot.

Dominik
    I keep hearing that Agfa is still around, but the whole confused muddle of who sells what is bewildering. And, as far as I know they are not producing color film. If anyone makes a film with somewhat subdued saturation like the old Agfa Portrait I'd like to know about it (another user sent me a roll of Lucky color to try out but even if it works for that it's one roll of 35mm - I can find plenty of black and white on ebay but not color.) I also liked Ultra 50 for the times I want overblown color. It was like negative Velvia only maybe more so. Ektar is close nowadays.

If anyone is making and selling the same film as the old Agfapan 100 I'd really like to know about it. I know there are several films sold by Adox but as far as I can tell they aren't the same as APX 100. Again, if they are, I'd like to know.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Roger Agfa Gevaert (Belgium) still produces film. APX 100 that is still available is cut from the last master roll not by Agfa . Gevaert is one of the worldwide leaders in the graphic industries and healthcare (larger than Kodak). They still produce Aerial Films sold by Rollei/Maco as Rollei Retro 80s, Retro 400S (aviphot 400) and Superpan (Aviphot 200) here's a link to their website http://www.agfa.com/en/sp/. As far as I know they don't produce color still film anymore.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post

Dominik
    Agfa has been out of the camera film business for some years. There is some old stock around but that really doesn't count. Gevaert makes specialty films such as microfilm and x-ray film.

Why is it shooting one's self in the foot? In the present economic climate with high unemployment in America and the UK I see nothing wrong with being nationalistic. I'm talking about jobs not share holders. There is an old proverb, "If I don't help myself who will." Buying American or british helps keep jobs in each country. Kodak no longer makes Pan-X so when I need a slow film I buy Ilford Pan F.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The original poster is peeved because a budget priced film did not give him premium priced results and suffered one roll of fogged film
    after an apparently high success rate previously. Then to opine for a higher level of quality control but complain when the manufacturer
    seeks a fair market price for its product that could possibly finance a better product seems ludicrous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Amen, Brother bascom49. At least Foma are still making film for us. For that reason alone I'll give them my few dollar's worth. I haven't had a bad roll yet but if I were at all uncertain I've always got other cameras loaded with other films. That's always an option, with film cameras so cheap these days. Support 'em all, I say!
    Last edited by lesm; 12-04-2011 at 11:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I personally don't believe that the fact that you were born in a country means that everything you buy has to come from that country. However, I was born on the planet Earth and so far, everything I have bought has come from that planet!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I personally don't believe that the fact that you were born in a country means that everything you buy has to come from that country. However, I was born on the planet Earth and so far, everything I have bought has come from that planet!

Steve.
    Are you sure ....?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin