Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,475   Posts: 1,542,611   Online: 977

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Thread: I give up!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Youdale View Post
    Going back to the OP, I also tried Fomapan in various sizes and speeds and had problems with their QC. When it worked well the tonality is beautiful but the results were too variable overall and I went back to Ilford (and sometimes Kodak).
    But I do question the logic of searching out the cheapest film you can find and then complaining about the quality! You get what you choose to pay for. I would (and do) pay top dollar for the best quality I can find. I don't want my photography compromised by being a cheapskate when I buy film or chemicals. If good film is costing you too much, check how many keepers you're getting per roll and perhaps work on improving your technique and shooting fewer frames.
    As for the complaint that Foma and Efke are now equal in price to US-sourced Kodak, you only have to look as far as the decline in buying power of the US dollar compared to almost every other currency. It's not Foma's fault that the US economy has tanked!
    I don't know where I might have said that I buy the cheapest media I can find. That bad Foma film was shot in a Leica MP with Leica lens, run in a Kindermann tank and reels, to be enlarged on a Beseler with Schneider Componon-S lenses, everything bought brand new combined with 30 years of shooting black and white, so I'm well aware of what-you-pay-is-what-you-get. I bought the cheap Foma films just to play with and ended up loving the results, and I'd keep on buying them at any price, and use nothing else, if the quality control was decent. Foma is great, when it works. Now that it costs as much as products that always work, why buy Foma anymore? In fact, I wouldn't use Foma if it was free, given what came out on the roll that inspired the original post. Having said that, just for curiosity could you please tell me where in the world Foma is still sold at the price levels of the better days of the U.S. economy, with comparisons to Kodak, Ilford, etc? Sandermarijn and I obviously don't know where that would be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    With the present state of the US economy and the loss of jobs in this country lets start supporting Kodak. They are an American company; Ilford, Foma and all the others are not. We lost Kodak papers awhile back and I really miss them. Now Plus-X in 120 size was discontinued recently. Pay a few cents more and buy American.
    DITTO

Shooter
    Medium Format

was intrigued...

Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    It all seems a waste of time and energy. If you don't like the film then move on. What's the purpose here?

If I eat at McDonalds and don't like the food I simply do not return. Despite the 'warnings' many people still choose to eat at McDonalds.

Many people, me included, still choose to use Foma film.
    never used foma but was interested by what others said about it and thought i'd give it a try...

so i appreciate seeing this thread and understanding the problems (quirks or nuances?) with the film.

i produce enough image problems, i don't need the manufacturer adding their disappointments - i'll wait till the reports turn positive!

thanks, all

Shooter
    35mm
    I have to applaud the OP. It's exactly my feelings.

I have been majorly disappointed by Foma as soon as I've opened the 120 pack: cheap smelly cardboard packaging, cheap backing paper, I couldn't tear the little tape without tearing the whole backin paper... Their QC is horrendous. I already miss Kodak's PERFECT products if they keep on ditching heavenly good products. I love Ilford. But geez, film prices need to go down.
    Last edited by NB23; 12-27-2011 at 04:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    There's nothing cheap about Foma, also not in Europe. Per 26 December 2011, from macodirect.de:
    - 10x Fomapan 100 120: 31.89 euros,
    - 10x Ilford FP4+ 120: 36.90 euros,
    - 10x Kodak Tri-x 120: 38.28 euros.
    These are negligible differences considering overall cost/frame.
    Strange?!!! I found a website where i can buy 10x Fomapan 100 120 for 23 euro, say 25 euro and it is still cheaper than those of Kodak/Ilford, 10x Fomapan 400 120 is about 28 euro, closer to about 10 euro cheaper than Kodak Tri-X

I bought many different 120 films and stored them in the fridge/freezer just for future use, i may buy more but sheets this time, then i will never worry if the film prices will increase or some films will be discontinued, have loads of them stored and i will take time to use/expose them one by one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I personally don't believe that the fact that you were born in a country means that everything you buy has to come from that country. However, I was born on the planet Earth and so far, everything I have bought has come from that planet!

Steve.
    Who was it who said " patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel"
    Ben

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin