Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,774   Online: 1271

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ilford Art 300 and non Ilford chemicals

Hi All,

I just started printing with the new Ilford Multigrade Art 300. I am loving this paper so much. It feels so luxurious and I love the slight warm tone.

Anyway, I notice that the fixing times listed on the fact sheet are much shorter than what I normally do. The times listed, though, mention Ilford fixers. I am using Kodak rapid fixer, and I am wondering what times I should use, and what the maximum fixing time would be. I normally fix for 5-10 minutes using Kodak rapid fixer. Are the times of 1-2 minutes using Ilford fixer really correct for archival purposes? It seems so short.

I have noticed that at 30 minutes in the wash, the paper seems more delicate, so I am sticking with the recommended 30 minute wash time versus the usual hour I do.

Thanks for any help. I want to make sure I am processing this paper archivally and do not overdo anything that could degrade image or paper.

Cody

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You don't need more than 1 or 2 minutes with Kodak Rapid fix either, 5 - 10 is way too long.

You're possibly ok if you use the recommended time for a rapid fix (no matter what brand) and Ilford's recommended wash time, but your water is different than Ilford's.
    The only way to really know is to do a retained fixer test.

Shooter
    35mm
    More than the recommended time is likely to give problems of eliminating fixer in the wash process. When longer isn't better that's one thing but when longer is worse then it's to be avoided at all costs. Certainly wastes time and probably water as well

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Mistercody,

Pleased you like ART 300:

Bdial is spot on...1 to 2 minutes, any Rapid Fix in a reputable brand.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    More than the recommended time is likely to give problems of eliminating fixer in the wash process. When longer isn't better that's one thing but when longer is worse then it's to be avoided at all costs. Certainly wastes time and probably water as well

pentaxuser
    I think it was Ralph Lambrecht that mentioned that it's almost impossible to wash all of the fixer out of a print that's been fixed for longer than two minutes.

My own method is two bath, Ilford Hypam at film strength. First bath is from previous printing session, for one minute. Second bath is fresh. 45s in each and then into a quick rinsing bath, and then directly into a tray with a siphon, or an archival washer. 90 seconds total.
    Used to be 60s in each bath, but at film strength a fiber print is adequately fixed in 60 seconds. 90 seconds sounded like a good compromise.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow, glad I saw this thread...I've been fixing my Art300 for 5-7 minutes!

Granted, I use Hypo Clearing and a good hour in an archival washer, but still.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It depends on how the rapid fix is mixed. The instructions with Kodak Rapid Fixes give different dilutions fir film and paper with paper half strength. The Ilford recommendations are for rapid fix mixed to the film strength and the washing recommendations base on no hardener in the fix. With KRF just leave out the part B which is the hardener.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good to know... I have a bad habit of letting my last print of the night sit in the fix whilst I start clearing things up. (It should go straight to the wash like all the rest, but somehow I've developed that habit.)
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Toffle...you and thousands of others....including me:

I have got a lot better though : much more disciplined in the darkroom now 2 mins in the fix max FB or RC....it is also a little cheaper on the pocket extending fix life... ( admittedly by a small amount )

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all for your replies,

This is good to know. I should save a lot of time now. I will try the shorter times and do a test using selenium toner to see if all is well.

The reason I fix so long is that I was taught that way. I use the lab at our local university where I took a class, and the sign over the fixer says 5-10 minutes, but I am not sure if they are adding the hardener. I was under the impression they didn't, but I'll ask.

Thanks again,

Cody

P.S. This new 300 Art paper has reignited my love of the darkroom. I already enjoy every minute I am in there, but I am so pleased with this paper that I'm thinking of what shots I have and what new work I'll create to best take advantage of this lovely stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin