Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,141   Online: 851

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian: One of my old packages of Ilfospeed has written "02 D 20 04", any clue what that means?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by outwest View Post
    The interesting thing was the unexposed parts of the MG III were fogged to a light gray, but on the Ilfospeed they were snow white. I also found a package of Oriental Seagull RC of similar vintage but it was fogged to a medium gray. So Simon, how did you keep the Ilfospeed from fogging?
    Is it MG III RC Deluxe or MG III RC Rapid? Ilford had two "Multigrade III RC" papers. I used both of them extensively back in the day. Apart from slight differences in characteristic curve, MG III Rapid was marketed as having developer incorporated and therefore as being appropriate for use in rapid access or activation processors.

So if your paper is Rapid, the fogging may be a result of incorporated developer. If it's Deluxe, I don't know why it would behave differently from Ilfospeed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cadmium was added to photographic papers until the late 80's - it did an excellent job of keeping the paper from fogging. Chances are the older Ilfospeed still had cadmium in the emulsion formula. When Kodak first removed the cadmium their paper suddenly had horrid keeping properties.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm using MG III that's ok except that high contrast is not possible regardless of filtration. I use it for the negs I made in my younger years following the manufacturers' instructions, i.e. too contrasty. Before I started exposing more and developing less.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm using ilforbrom galeri grade 2 dont know what manufactured years but quite old about 5-8 years old, but it had light gray tend to brownish, I think it's not fog, because cant get rid of it with potasium bleach, is that because of the optical brightening agent degraded on old paper?
    quiet-light.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grainy View Post
    Ian: One of my old packages of Ilfospeed has written "02 D 20 04", any clue what that means?
    Ilford changed their coding at some stage so I can't help with that one without looking at the box, Ralph Lambrecht has posted on the newer system somewhere on APUG.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    Cadmium was added to photographic papers until the late 80's - it did an excellent job of keeping the paper from fogging. Chances are the older Ilfospeed still had cadmium in the emulsion formula. When Kodak first removed the cadmium their paper suddenly had horrid keeping properties.
    Not all emulsions contained Cadmium, it's not needed in Bromide papers and was used in Chloro-bromide papers to help maintain good contrast when these papers were processed with warm tone developers particulary when pushed to extremes. A side effect was it helped with the keeping properties.

So for instance the old Agfa Record Rapid with Cadmium could be processewd to give very rich red-brown tones by using a dilute developer and increasing the exposure, once the Cadmium was removed that flexibility was lost.

Something that's never commented on is that current Warmtone papers become colder toned as they age.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, the MG III RC was Deluxe. My friend and I just turned the last of it into photo backdrops using his method of exposing it with the lights on and dipping and rolling the developer around on it. Kind of fun.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by haryanto View Post
    I'm using ilforbrom galeri grade 2 dont know what manufactured years but quite old about 5-8 years old, but it had light gray tend to brownish, I think it's not fog, because cant get rid of it with potasium bleach, is that because of the optical brightening agent degraded on old paper?
    the bleach is potasium ferrycianide bleach.
    quiet-light.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If we're guessing how old various papers are, any ideas on this one?:

The batch number is L2706
    I printed to it a couple of days ago and it looks perfect to me. Cute little 2.5 x 3.5 inch prints that remind me of my grandparents' photo albums.
    I also printed some Ilford Multigrade III RC Deluxe Glossy last night with no problems. The previous owner hadn't opened it but was kind enough to write on it that they'd purchased it in May of 1994... Seventeen and a half years later and it's still going strong!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IlfordPhotographicPaperB2-1K2-5x3-5L2706.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin