Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,650   Online: 881

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Old Ilford Paper - Info For Simon Galley

While rooting around in the darkroom I came across 2 long buried unopened packages of 16x20 Ilford paper. One was Multigrade III RC Glossy from France apparently circa 1991 and the other was UK Ilfospeed RC Pearl apparently circa 1989. Don't ask - larger things have gotten lost in there for longer periods! I thought what the heck, I'll try it. The bottom line was both produced a nice image. The contrast seems to have held up just fine but the Ilfospeed was 3 stops slower than the MG III. The interesting thing was the unexposed parts of the MG III were fogged to a light gray, but on the Ilfospeed they were snow white. I also found a package of Oriental Seagull RC of similar vintage but it was fogged to a medium gray. So Simon, how did you keep the Ilfospeed from fogging?

Shooter
    35mm
    Good news for anyone considering buying old Ilfospeed on e-bay. There always seems to be batches of it available either from sellers who like yourself discover old stuff in their darkroom or who buy up old stock bankrupt stock.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Today I've been experimenting with using some Ilford Ilfospeed 2.24M as paper negative, the guy I got it from told me it was from the early 1970's. Have to do a bit more testing to find the correct exposure and development, but it seems to be somewhere around iso 2. I'm quite surprised that the paper would work at all.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I have been using MG III from the mid 1990s with great success. It looks as good as any current paper I've got.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Outwest :

I would now like to give you the benefit of 25 years with ILFORD Photo and my in depth study of photo emulsions.....are you ready !

I have not got a clue......

Not really....but my instinct tells me that variable contrast emulsions ( in relation to fogging ) should have 'poorer' keeping qualities than graded emulsions..but I have seen vice versa stories so often I cannot prove it, I have always known so much depends on the actual storage conditions, especially the range of temperatures and durations, some emulsions seem indistructable and others not, what I do know is that the consistency of the manufacture of the emulsions being so exact itcould not possibly account for this example and hundreds of others.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Could it be as simple as the storage conditions ? Was the Ilfospeed the "box in the middle" insulated from above and below by layers of the other papers which would minimise temperature fluctuations ?
    Now the OP will tell me they were in different locations altogether

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, they were both in the middle of the stack. It is in a basement and the temp probably stays in the 60s. Of course, it may be also that I have the dates all wrong since Ilford doesn't really put a date on them

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear Outwest :

I would now like to give you the benefit of 25 years with ILFORD Photo and my in depth study of photo emulsions.....are you ready !

I have not got a clue......
    Simon:

Bet you are not going to use this as an APUG signature line .

(Even if it is now one of my favourite APUG posts)
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by outwest View Post
    Actually, they were both in the middle of the stack. It is in a basement and the temp probably stays in the 60s. Of course, it may be also that I have the dates all wrong since Ilford doesn't really put a date on them
    Then... I have not got a clue

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by outwest View Post
    Actually they do have a date code, a letter and two mumbers, the number's the year. I've found the same with Ilfospeed and also much older Ilfobrom (FB) as well as Kodak Bromide papers from the early 60's, they all keep remarkably well, don't seem to have a base fog with aging, they do slow down and lose a bit of contrast though.

Kodak VC papers do show fogging with age as well as losing more contrast than fixed grade papers, not sure about Ilford Mutigrade as I always used it up quite quickly but I do have a 12 year old wide roll I must test.

Warm tone papers are the poorest keepers since the removal of cadmium from them in the late 1980's in Europe due to environmental legislation, Kodak continued making a paper with Cadmium, Ektalure, for much longer.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin