Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,049   Online: 1044

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Couple of thoughts. Remember that the saving on small online orders are often offset by the shipping costs. Also remember that black and white film has a pretty good shelf life especially if you freeze it so no worries if it takes you a while to shoot it. You might take a look at the classifieds here on APUG, film comes up for sale often and you should be able to find small quanities with a little patience. Finially if you buy enough film from Freestyle and find you aren't using it fast enough you can always sell it here on the APUG classifieds.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check your pm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you don't have that much film experience, you may want to find some one local to make sure you can get the B&W developed, too. As someone new I doubt you a a tank and chems just lying around, although they aren't hard to source.

But you can't just drop a roll of B&W off at CVS or Walgreens and come back in an hour. However you can develop it in your own kitchen in about 30 minutes once you get the hang of it.

Seems that in another thread you said you were in the upstate, so that puts you pretty much across the whole state from me, or I'd offer to give you a hand one evening. But that's hours of driving for one of us.

Or if you're interested in the B&W experience, but want the drug store convenience, then grab a package of Kodak BN400CN off the hook at the local store. It's awesome results, and can be processed at any local 1 hour line. It's really not bad film.

Michael
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do some comparison pricing, particularly for shipping costs. Freestyle has good stuff and I've ordered a lot of it, but lately I've found cheaper shipping elsewhere for some of the same products.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    it takes a long time for film to go bad
    just buy the minimum order and put the film in a drawer until you use it
    i have a suitcase in a closet full of film, and stuff on shelves &c
    some is 10-20 year old tri x
    ... if you decide after you buy it and can't use it ...
    just sell it here on the classifieds at cost + shipping ( flat rate box usps )
    and you should get back what you paid ...

have fun + hope you feel better !

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought many many of films from Freestyle and other online stores, and i save/store those film in my fridge/freezer, when i need to use them i take what i want and leave the rest in cold, i saved a lot, i can't find many local stores in my country, only 2 stores, one for Ilford films only and the other for Kodak, and both have only 2-3 different film, not many, so the online is my best friend or the only solution for different films i need, i buy them now and use them later, one day i will not find the film i need, so better i get them now before some of them will be discontinued.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyFifty View Post
    You confirmed what I was already thinking. Since I'm pretty much just testing the water, I think I should wait on buying in bulk until I know for sure that I want to add film to my skill set permanently. Walgreen's drugstore only sells the C-41 B&W film, but CVS drugstore sells Kodak Tri-X 400 ASA. I guess that's a roundabout way to see if I like the Arista Premium, since it's supposed to be the exact same thing. The worst that can happen is that I won't be stuck with 8 rolls of a film I don't like, LOL. Thanks!
    I was shocked to see Tri-x 400 at CVS. I had to do a double take. You can always get the C-41 and then develop it in CAffenol. Caffenol works great with C41.
    Caffenol.org & Caffenol.blogspot.com

Greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You said you were "testing the waters". I don't know if that is on black and white specifically or film in general. If you're new to B/W film, I have a few tips that you may want to try. You can alter tone and contrast in b/w images with the use of color filters. When I first started in photography shooting b/w I would sometimes end up with shots that lacked punch/contrast and/or blown out skies. Below is a link to a website that gives a short primer on color filters in b/w photography. Also, if you're on a tight budget, Ebay is a good source for inexpenseve used color filters, I stick with "known" quality brands. here's the link:

Good luck and most of all, have fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry the Link didn't paste to my last post, here it is.

http://www.fineart-photography.com/bwfilter.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Black and white film will keep fine in the fridge/freezer. I'd go ahead and order the brick. You just can't beat the price to quality ratio of Arista Premium.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin