Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,185   Online: 662

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Freestyle Minimum Order

I'm trying to buy some "real" B&W 35mm film. Freestyle has the best price (Arista Premium), but they also have a minimum order of $25. Due to health issues, I don't shoot often enough to justify ordering 8-9 rolls of film. Is there another place with really low prices that doesn't have a minimum order, or has a lower minimum order? Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you shoot that little, you're better off just buying it a roll or two at a time locally. Shipping plus the minimum order $$$ will cause you to spend more money and get more film than you need.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't use that much film either. When ordering from Freestyle I buy film, chemicals and paper at the same time to get over the $25 minimum. Perhaps an East coast store like Adorama or B&H might be better in your case.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A film order under $25? I did not think it was possible (I usually buy a couple boxes 8x10 B&W film and have them toss in a pro-pack or two of 120 B&W).

Arista Premium ASA400 is Kodak Tri-X. It will not be available at this price (or any price) on the long term. So if you are making any kind of commitment to film, then you might as well buy 10 to 20 rolls and stick them in the refridgerator. That way you will have enough to last you, you'll have covered the times when you decide to blast through a roll in a day, and you will get to know the film well.

But that is just my opinion. Too much film is a non-issue for me. Too much exposed but undeveloped film is an issue!

Good luck!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    If you shoot that little, you're better off just buying it a roll or two at a time locally. Shipping plus the minimum order $$$ will cause you to spend more money and get more film than you need.
    You confirmed what I was already thinking. Since I'm pretty much just testing the water, I think I should wait on buying in bulk until I know for sure that I want to add film to my skill set permanently. Walgreen's drugstore only sells the C-41 B&W film, but CVS drugstore sells Kodak Tri-X 400 ASA. I guess that's a roundabout way to see if I like the Arista Premium, since it's supposed to be the exact same thing. The worst that can happen is that I won't be stuck with 8 rolls of a film I don't like, LOL. Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    A film order under $25? I did not think it was possible (I usually buy a couple boxes 8x10 B&W film and have them toss in a pro-pack or two of 120 B&W).

Arista Premium ASA400 is Kodak Tri-X. It will not be available at this price (or any price) on the long term. So if you are making any kind of commitment to film, then you might as well buy 10 to 20 rolls and stick them in the refridgerator. That way you will have enough to last you, you'll have covered the times when you decide to blast through a roll in a day, and you will get to know the film well.

But that is just my opinion. Too much film is a non-issue for me. Too much exposed but undeveloped film is an issue!

Good luck!

Vaughn
    I'm testing the film waters, so until I know for sure that I like shooting film I think I'm going to just buy a roll or two of Kodak Tri-X 400 ASA from my local CVS drugstore. If I like the film itself, and decide to continue to shoot film, then I'll bulk order the Arista Premium from Freestyle. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may wish to try Amazon.com. I've never purchased 35mm there but I do buy 120 film there every so often, (remember to follow the APUG link on the support page so APUG gets a % of sale). Finding real B&W locally is not always possible in some places. We are lucky enough to have a lively art program (Including B&W classes) at our community college here in Dayton, Ohio so the local "digital shops" will have a few rolls of very over priced B&W. I'm certain when the instructor retires so will the film programs and the local over priced supply.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyFifty View Post
    You confirmed what I was already thinking. Since I'm pretty much just testing the water, I think I should wait on buying in bulk until I know for sure that I want to add film to my skill set permanently. Walgreen's drugstore only sells the C-41 B&W film, but CVS drugstore sells Kodak Tri-X 400 ASA. I guess that's a roundabout way to see if I like the Arista Premium, since it's supposed to be the exact same thing. The worst that can happen is that I won't be stuck with 8 rolls of a film I don't like, LOL. Thanks!
    Arista Premium IS Tri-X. I've shot about 300 rolls of it so far, and have another 80 left. I've used it alongside Tri-X with the Kodak box and they are identical in every single way. Except price. I shoot about 200 rolls of Tri-X 35mm a year, so the freestyle deal is incredibly good for me.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have a CVS pharmacy in your area, they sell Kodak TriX, or used to. Quick check of their site confirms availability, yep, they sell TriX and other films.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    127 Format
    On another note, if you do buy 10 rolls of film you will be compelled to use it and by then you will be hooked and can erase your fear of not liking film!
    - Bill Lynch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin