Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,766   Posts: 1,516,432   Online: 930

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    You could say that you disagree with the book. You have your opnion about Ansel's book, and other may like it.
    You can't really objectively call the book's content false. It is just one approach, and your approach is another.
    With your style of arguing and your stubborn opinions I am glad that you aren't teaching me photography...sorry to say.

It would be more accurate to say that Kodak disagrees with the book. Adams did not have the benefit of access to the large body of research that Kodak had conducted over many years. That research indicates that observers (expert and non-expert) prefer 1:1 ratio of mid-tone reproduction. This is mentioned in the quote above. The zs ignores this principle. As such, many zs images look 'wrong' to the eye. 'Contraction/expansion are the term used in the zs, and it's simply wrong to do it.

All you have to do is forget you ever heard of that book, the zs, or Adams. That's the first step to recovery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hansbeckert
    It would be more accurate to say that Kodak disagrees with the book. Adams did not have the benefit of access to the large body of research that Kodak had conducted over many years. That research indicates that observers (expert and non-expert) prefer 1:1 ratio of mid-tone reproduction. This is mentioned in the quote above. The zs ignores this principle. As such, many zs images look 'wrong' to the eye. 'Contraction/expansion are the term used in the zs, and it's simply wrong to do it.

All you have to do is forget you ever heard of that book, the zs, or Adams. That's the first step to recovery.
    ITS TRUE I TELL YOU!!!
    ITS ALL A GIANT CONSPIRACY!!! AND A PACK OF LIES TO BOOT!!!

Michael Scarpitti is correct...Last night when I put on my tinfoil hat to communicate with the Acutol Gods in space they told me that Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, JFK and Ansel Adams were all involved in the Evil Rodinal Plot to take over the world of photography...
    They also told me that Michael/Hans has been sent to us to show us the error of our ways and that Acutol must be the new god.
    Furthermore, from this point onwards, no one is permitted to have an opinion unless Michael/Hans allows one to. There will no longer be room for personal artistic preference.

ALL HAIL MICHAEL/HANS AND ACUTOL!!!
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    ITS TRUE I TELL YOU!!!
    ITS ALL A GIANT CONSPIRACY!!! AND A PACK OF LIES TO BOOT!!!

Michael Scarpitti is correct...Last night when I put on my tinfoil hat to communicate with the Acutol Gods in space they told me that Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, JFK and Ansel Adams were all involved in the Evil Rodinal Plot to take over the world of photography...
    They also told me that Michael/Hans has been sent to us to show us the error of our ways and that Acutol must be the new god.
    Furthermore, from this point onwards, no one is permitted to have an opinion unless Michael/Hans allows one to. There will no longer be room for personal artistic preference.

ALL HAIL MICHAEL/HANS AND ACUTOL!!!
    I there an argument here? Any presentation of facts? Sorry, I don't think so...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I there an argument here? Any presentation of facts? Sorry, I don't think so...
    Quid pro quo

Bye now!!!
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Gusi, sorry to see your thread has gone off topic. I hope this does not deter you from using APUG as a resource. Since you are new here, I feel I should point out that this sort of thing does not normally happen here. As you can tell not everyone agrees on the best way to develop film, expose film, what makes a good print. So making a set of prints at different film speeds, different development times, and printing them at different paper grades can help you see the effects of changing each of these variables.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    'Tis a pity you've succumbed to that dogma-spewing cult. We'll have to hire a deprogrammer to get you out of there.
    Bye bye Hans/Michael.

<Ploink>
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hola Gusi, Mi espanol no es beuno, necesito estudiar mas. Dos libros muchas excelente es "The Art of Photography" by Bruce Barnbaum, y "Creative Black and White Photography" by Les McLean. Bruce hable por trabaja con negative. Les (now my Spanish fails me) teaches very good nuances of dealing with exposure as well. You can't go wrong with either book. If you ever have the chance, bothe men teach excellent classes. Bruce concentrates more on the manipulation of the exposure and development of the negative, and Les more on the printing aspect of any negative. In my opinion, they should teach back to back courses.

A note about poor Hansbeckert. He has been driven off many forums for his antics, es loco in la cabeza.

Welcome to apug!
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Gusi, mandame un PM y yo te ayudo. Ah si, lo que dice Aggie no le hagas caso al imbecil de Hans, desafortunadamente descubrio este forum, pero ya estamos por arreglar esto.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am always interested in a good photography book and looked up Bruce Barnbaum's "The Art of Photography". It appears that it is Out of Print and used copies are going for anywhere from $206 to $388. Ouch, that must be quite the book. I think I would just invest in one of his prints instead. BTW, Les' book is great and quite affordable considering.

Edit -

Go to Bruce Barnbaum's web site.. He has a thrid edition of "The Art of Photography" available. He must be self publishing. $37.95 with shipping sounds about right for a great photo book!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Gusi;
    Sorry you have to walk in on us while we're airing our dirty laundry. Please bear with us. If you can post a scan of your negative, showing the rebate (where the frame numbers are) maybe we can help you figure out the cause. Sometimes it's hard to help without seeing the problem.

Dean
    [COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Arial]Some days are diamonds. Some days a tree crashes through your roof.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin