Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,730   Online: 841

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Trouble with TRI-X and TMax developing

Hello.

I'm in trouble with Kodak Professional TRI-X 400 (400TX) film and Kodak T-MAX developer.

As i can read into the film box, the times at 20║C are 6 Minutes + 1/4 minute, but when I develop the film (with already used developer) in a small tank the base of the film is dark but the numbers and markings get gray, as if were erased.

My questions are?

Are the semi-erased numbers and markings a sympthom of overdeveloping?

Can this be due to contaminated developer, light leakages, ...?

Many thanks about your cooperation.

Gusi
    Last edited by Gusi; 10-29-2004 at 07:27 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Misspelling

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gusi
    Are the semi-erased numbers and markings a sympthom of overdeveloping?
    If the base is black all the way to the edges I guess it has been exposed to light by mistake (the base should be clear at the edges as the film normally shouldn't be exposed there).

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello Morten.

I'm having troubles with my english (spanish native)

No, the base is not black. It's sort of an uniform gray and darker than another negatives i've developed before with success. The strange are the "overdeveloped" markings (I suppose)

Of course, many thanks about your support.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No, the base is not black. It's sort of an uniform gray and darker than another negatives i've developed before with success. The strange are the "overdeveloped" markings (I suppose)

Of course, many thanks about your support.
    Ok. I do not think I am really sure of what have caused this...

By the way, welcome to APUG. I hope you will enjoy being here. Just ask all you like. We are friendly towards people who behave good

Greetings Morten

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If the base is clear and the numbers are not as black as before it sounds like you did not develop the film as much. This could be because you reused the developer, or you used less time, or the temperature was lower. How is the image? If it is also lacking contrast you need to develop more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with L.G. although I don't have experience with T-max developer.
    Sounds like your developer is no good/used up. How old is the developer or I should ask, when did you last use it before this problem? Some developers don't last long, are are usually meant for one use.
    You say the base of the film is grey, do you mean both edges are gray or just one edge?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello.

I was sure it was a sympthom of overdeveloping and you suggest it's about underdevelopping.

Do you suggest the numbers get darker with mode developping?

Do you know any place where I could read more about this?

Many thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes. If you develop more the numbers will become darker (they are highlights) as the contrast becomes higher.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, the more you develop the darker everything will get. The rate it gets darker is related to how much exposure it was given.

Do you know any place where I could read more about this?
    The Ansel Adams book "The Negative" is a good classic text to start with. Or just read through many of the posts here on APUG. A book is better for a novice I would say.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
    Yes, the more you develop the darker everything will get. The rate it gets darker is related to how much exposure it was given.

The Ansel Adams book "The Negative" is a good classic text to start with. Or just read through many of the posts here on APUG. A book is better for a novice I would say.

'The Negative' is a pack of lies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin