Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,589   Online: 967

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I rate it at 200 then develope it in RO9 1+50, normal agitation. Works really well for 4x5 sheets and 120, haven't tried it with 35mm though. I don't shoot anything faster than iso 100 usually, but it shows to be a great combo this way.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Large Format
    I made the mistake of developing T-Max 400 in Rodinal at 1:25 and was surprised how grainy it was. Unfortunately, it was 120mm for enlarging. For my LF negs (4X5 & 8X10) I dev at 1:50 in Unicolor drum & base so getting constant agitation. For 120mm I now do 1:80 for 16 mins with agitation every 60 seconds.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know why folks think it's such a grainy combination. Even with 35mm I get prints that aren't terribly grainy at 9x12" size. You must be doing something wicked to your film. And with good 120 negs I'm frankly disappointed by the lack of grain.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    TMY-2 in Xtol does beat most 100 films but it lacks bite and character, instead having a very typical modern straight line look that I find soulless. I am interested in rodinal simply to kick some character and bite into this technically astonishing film. I might also try FX-39.

... So I say try R09 and TMY-2. The film has next to no grain and it is very smooth (smoother than D100) so ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I've made a few test prints from that test roll, the negatives were slightly contrasty but the shadow rendition was...woa. Nice. I'll probably reduce my agitation (back to my normal routine, 10 s agitation each minute) and/or go for 8 minutes. Maybe go for 1:50 instead of 1:40, but now I'm juggling quite a few variables here. Hopefully I'll settle for just one variable.

As for the grain...what grain? Sure, last film I used was Foma 100 in R09 (which a lot of people thinks is quite grainy for an ISO100 film) but the grain on my 24x30 cm (9x12 inches for you yankees) print was...very discrete. The highlights (mostly snow) were a bit dense, but that will probably be fixed by reducing agitation and/or development.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin