Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,531   Online: 841

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Efke IR 820

Shooter
    35mm RF

Efke IR 820

I've decided to experiment with IR film and have got some Efke IR 820. Has anybody got any tips for developing this in DD-X and the best ISO rating for exposures?

Secondly, I've got a deep red filter (for normal B&W film). Is this a good filter to use with IR film or do I have to get a specific IR filter?

Thanks in advance,

Andy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you want the IR effect go with a Hoya 720 nm filter (IIRC. this was the cheapest filter available. I think I went through ebay) and then you'll want to rate it really low. Basically the film is way more sensitive to red light than it is to infrared light so if you can see well through the filter you'll still be getting the deep red effect. I think I used ASA 1.5 with that filter with good results in TMAX developer. It's been a year or three though.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Medium Format
    With Efke, you'd want an opaque (R72) filter for the best effects.

I always rate mine at ISO1.5 (yes, one-point-five). Then I follow the Massive Dev chart. DD-X (1+4) 11:30min @ 20?C

Shooter
    Medium Format

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Even cheaper: the Cokin IR filter. Just don't use it with direct backlighting.

Here is plenty of information:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/6...data-here.html
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both the Hoya R72 and the Cokin work well in my (limited) experience. It is worth studying the longish document that Efke posts about this film on their web site. If you want the IR "bloom" be sure to get the version of the film that has no anti-halation coating.

If you accept the manufacturer's rating of ISO 100 for the film, and add five stops for the infrared filter, you wind up with ISO 3. But 1.5 is probably better in most situations. In any case, bracket generously, since it is very difficult to assess how much infrared is actually there in any given scene.

Don't know where you plan to be shooting at this time of year, but generally there is more infrared in early morning or late afternoon, in spring or early summer. Another advantage of spring shooting is the little tiny leaves that are just busting out. Although these look green to the eye, they actually reflect tons of infrared, making for shots that look almost like snow scenes.

It's kind of unpredictable stuff, so just decide you're going to have fun experimenting!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use a Chinese R72 (720nm lowpass) clone and EI1 in Sunny-16 conditions, i.e. 1s at f/16 in full sunlight. Gives some decent detail into deep shadows while still retaining printable and detailed highlights on sunlit foliage. That exposure is also good for backlit foliage.

It has bad reciprocity failure, so for f/22 you want about 3s.

I like to develop it in Xtol 1+1 for 15:00.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anybody ever tried these modern IR films in Diafine? I have some Rollei in the freezer, the R72 filter, and plan to give that a go this spring, mainly because there's no guess work about time and temperature, same for all films and it does what it's going to do. It gets a bit of extra speed from some films so we'll see if that helps with these films.

If the first roll is awful I'll go to conventional developers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have, with stunning results. 5 to 6 mins in Solution a and b. 30 secs agitation for the first min in both solutions and then 3 secs every 30 secs thereafter. Dump each solution quickly. No wash. Fix for 5 mins. Wash for 5 mins. Dry normally. I use a wash agent from the out fit in Wash state.... can't think of the name....also I prefer the Aura. I do mine in a Bronica ETRSI with a 40mm. Have fun !!!!!
    Logan

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Examples for Efke Aura in XTol 1:1, rated at @1.5-6 ISO, on bright summer days in Bern, Switzerland:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clemens...86698999/show/
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin