Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,959   Posts: 1,523,048   Online: 1191

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilford direct positive paper for printing?

I've been printing some old negatives for a client. He would like some prints from B&W slides as well. Would the Ilford direct positive paper work for this, or is it too contrasty? This person is adamant that they don't want scanning and inkjet prints.

It's great to be working with someone who appreciates the difference between analogue and digital. Some of the negatives are glass plates and go back 100 years to the early days of one of BC's northern communities. Interesting stuff.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I haven't tried it, but I would guess it's too contrasty. But it's relatively simple to make a contrast reducing mask from a fine grained black and white film such as TMY or FP4.

I hope to start playing with the couple boxes of this paper i just received. But I don't have any black and white transparencies to test with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i haven't used the ilford dp paper yet either but l gebhardt is right, it is wicked contrasty, at least
    for "normal" photography. you could always flash the paper and use it in semi-exhausted or weak
    paper developer and do some tests. another thing you might do, to reprint the images is
    to make negatives either contact or enlarged ( paper negatives that is ) and then contact print the paper negatives
    onto regular photo paper. it isn't hard, and once you get the hang of what a good paper negative looks like
    it is really pretty easy ...

good luck !
    john
    ask me how ..

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin