Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,554   Posts: 1,573,139   Online: 755

Shooter
    35mm

First time toning questions...

I have just received sepia, blue, and copper toning chemicals by fotospeed.

What is the minimum amount of fluid to tone 7x5 prints in 10x8 trays? I don't want to waste chemicals, this is especially for the blue and copper toners which must be discarded after use.

For the other chemicals (bleach etc), should I mix up the whole lot and store them or what?

Is it best to tone straight after washing or the next day? (following a soak)

If it makes any difference, I'm using Ilford mgiv paper fb gloss, and rc pearl.

Many thanks to anyone who reads or replies.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The only toner I try to economize on is gold. I use 250ml in a flat bottom try (old rubber one) to minimize the the "dead" volume for 8x10. It doesn't matter if you tone right after washing or the next day with a soak. I mix the bleach in bulk of about a liter. Lastly, MGIV doesn't bleach very quickly and the toning results are pretty subtle compared to a warm tone paper.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks very much, so I'll mix 300 ml then for easier maths (concentrates make 1.2L) and then pick up some warmtone paper when I get paid again

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you use too little toner it will exhaust quickly and it will be uneconomical to use like this. Try to get a good number of prints in a batch for toning and, if possible, have some duplicates or wasters to experiment with. I don't use less than a litre of solution for these reasons (although using 500ml for a handful of 7x5's would be ok). Sepia can be stored after use and replenished, which can be a good way of getting subtle effects once you have become familiar with different ratios of bleach and toner. Tim Rudman and Lee Frost spring to mind for good book sources on toning.
    I second the previous Mark on MGIV's toning properties as there are more responsive papers available for toning. See many other threads for more information.
    Regards, Mark Walker.
    Don't forget that toning is a process for discovery, so don't be afraid of doing it your way if you like the results.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well said folks!! I echo that, toning is about you and your approach to photography, discover what combo you like! I print about three or so prints of the same photo and keep one untoned as the reference print and play with the other two in the toners. With all your load of toners OP, you might need a few more than three prints as the possibilities are endless! Welcome to Apug by the way!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks very much everyone, I've made 5 copies of each image in preparation, gonna do some toning in the morning

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin