Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,475   Posts: 1,542,620   Online: 980

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    Both steel and plastic reels have zillions of successful users, so there is only personal preference at work in the choice. Every now and then, plastic reels can be soaked, scrubbed with a nail brush and dried because if there is a consistent problem it is likely to be due to some crud dried on somewhere - prevention is better than cure. Plastic reels need to be bone dry and if steel reels are used wet (ie. mostly dry but with an occasional drip) then the film might want a pre-soak to avoid wet patches of emulsion showing up overdeveloped when the dev time is short.

A steel reel can theoretically be dunked in almost boiling water to heat up, then rely on the absorbed heat to dry the reel off for re-use -- on the other hand, plastic reels are much cheaper than steel (so you can have two rather than one), more robust (no invisible bending when dropped, meaning also that second-hand ones are more reliable) and dry out quickly in film drying cabinets. It's choosing between the swings and the roundabouts.

In low humidity locations, will a humidifier in the (pseudo-)darkroom help with the curling of the emulsions before loading? The O.P. was talking about curl but I'm not clear which direction he meant, along the film where it has been rolled up or across the film due to contraction of the emulsion in a dry environment.

For hanging the processed film to dry I use the well known tip of drying in the shower, after steaming up the air to raise the humidity. When it eventually dries out the film has much less curl like this, in both directions. If necessary, the neg sheets then go under some large photo-books. Unfortunately there seems to be no photo-quality osmosis effect from the Salgado book to my negs - maybe I should use a paperback edition instead of hardback?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    Is this too simple to add?
    I always do a Michael Jackson and wear one cotton glove, (on my right hand because I'm right-handed). At times when the film won't co-operate and I have to fu...fool around with it for a while, it's always a soft cotton glove handling it. The bare hand deals with the reel while the gloved hand coaxes the film. Never any damage to the film, even after a 15 or 20 minute battle. When it starts getting at all dirty, I throw it away. They're cheap on eBay.

Well with Acros specifically the problem seems to be bending the emulsion too much causing dents. It's not a matter of mechanical damage from rough skin or nails. The damage doesn't happen where my hands are touching the film. It happens in the middle of the frame. With steel reels you have to purposely fold and bend the film to some degree to get it onto the reel. Interestingly I don't seem to have this problem with emulsions with a thinner base. I guess they are less stiff and not as inclined to permanently maintain inadvertent kinks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have problems with Acros curling a lot.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Come on you curly (/&% Tri-X film

Hey guys, I know I've mentioned this before so sorry those that have seen it already, the samigon plastic reels have a different design then the Paterson/JOBO ones, the samigon has this tongue that sticks out on both sides, makes it REALLY easy to load 120 film.

Also, I always bend the tip back (sounds wrong), as in just the first 1cm I bend it because often it's just curled too much and pops out of the track.

Also keep pressure between the two reels as you first start twisting the plastic reel, again just helps curly film stay in the track. Just did some plus-x tonight, those samigon's are way better...IMHO

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    SonrNYC, I've seen those reels here and there as of late, are they some sort of new design?
    - Can't seem to remember seeing them before at least.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    The O.P. was talking about curl but I'm not clear which direction he meant, along the film where it has been rolled up or across the film due to contraction of the emulsion in a dry environment.
    It was curling, as though it wanted to get back onto the original negative take-up spool.
    Indeed, up here (when this situation occurred) it is very dry and cold (During winter, I actually need to use body lotion after showers, because my skin dries out).

Simon clarified nicely the reason why I got the immense curl I got with my film that day, so maybe your humidity suggestion isn't so far fetched.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    the samigon has this tongue that sticks out on both sides, makes it REALLY easy to load 120 film.
    As does the Kaiser reel (also makes 35mm easy to load).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k4298-500x500.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	61206

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Kav

Shooter
    Multi Format

Re: Come on you curly (/&% Tri-X film

Can those be used with JOBO tanks?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Samigon/AP/Kaiser/Arista Premium et al reels with the wider flange are sold under a number of different names. They are designed to fit into the Patterson tanks, so probably wouldn't work in a JOBO tank.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    They are designed to fit into the Patterson tanks.
    I didn't know that. I always use mine with the Kaiser tank they came with.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I didn't know that. I always use mine with the Kaiser tank they came with.

Steve.

I used those Kaiser reels too before I got into stainless, and in my opinion they were by far the easiest plastic reels to load.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin