Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,861   Online: 1069

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    D-76R:
    H2O 750.0 ml
    Metol 3.0 g
    Sod sulfite 100.0 g
    Hydoquinone 7.5 g
    Borax 20 g
    H2O to make 1 Liter

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would think that using D76 as its own replenisher would work, but I might be wrong.

Kodak tends to use surface treatments and additives to ensure that the chemistry dissolves easlily and is entirely foolproof. These might be the difference between what you are seeing with the legacy (which is probably based on the active chemistry) and the yellow packet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a one gallon envelope (Kodak D76R) I was sent by accident back in maybe 2004/5.
    I doubt I'll use it cuz if I try replenished I'll go XTOL.

It's probably not worth shipping but if the OP is interested, hit me up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Notice in the above formula for D-76R, that it has a lot more borax (10x) than the formula for the developer. This would indicate that a significant adjustment to pH is necessary after development. This also suggests that using D-76 as its own replenisher might not yield consistent results, but you never know.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi Arton....

Where did this formula come from?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artonpaper View Post
    D-76R:
    H2O 750.0 ml
    Metol 3.0 g
    Sod sulfite 100.0 g
    Hydoquinone 7.5 g
    Borax 20 g
    H2O to make 1 Liter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    How many cans do you need? I have some excess inventory and could send you some. Also Photographers Formulary sells a version of D-76 and D-76r. Try looking on Kodak's site for the formula, but usually is D-76 with a PH stabilizer. Steven.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by streetshot View Post
    Hi Arton....

Where did this formula come from?

Thanks
    This is the formula for D-76R as published by Kodak.

BTW, it is important to specify the correct case of the letter following 76 in the D-76 formulas. D-76h is a different formula from D-76H.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So if you had a tank of d-76 going, self replenished w/ more d-76, could you just add borax to balance that ph shift back out? - could possibly do a aquarium ph test to see where it's at at any given time and bring it back into line. Or would it not dissolve or not work unless it was part of the original powdered mix?

In which case could one add say extra, say, 15 or grams of borax in each gallon you intend to use as replenisher before mixing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeMitchell View Post
    So if you had a tank of d-76 going, self replenished w/ more d-76, could you just add borax to balance that phersshift back out? - could possibly do a aquarium ph test to see where it's at at any given time and bring it back into line. Or would it not dissolve or not work unless it was part of the original powdered mix?

In which case could one add say extra, say, 15 or grams of borax in each gallon you intend to use as replenisher before mixing?
    No. If you look at the two formulas for D-76 and D-76R you see that the amounts of Metol and hydroquinine are greater in D-76R than in D-76. This
    compensates for the amount of each lost in the developing process. Increasing the pH by adding more borax would help but probably not enough. pH papers are also not accurate enough for adjusting developer pH.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    No. If you look at the two formulas for D-76 and D-76R you see that the amounts of Metol and hydroquinine are greater in D-76R than in D-76. This
    compensates for the amount of each lost in the developing process. Increasing the pH by adding more borax would help but probably not enough. pH papers are also not accurate enough for adjusting developer pH.
    I see.

I was just asking b/c I remember the d-76 tech pub naming two replenishment techniques (I think depending on whether you ran TMAX films or not, but I may be remembering wrong). There's the first "standard" replenishment scheme which was something like 25-30mil of d-76r per roll. But then there was "modified" replenishment technique if one was running tmax film at all, and that was a mix of, of the top of my head, 1 part d-76r to 4 parts regular d-76 replenishing at 70ml per roll...or something like that.

I'm just throwing those numbers out, don't have the tech pub in front of me. But the second modified way is darn near self replenishment. Unless I either read the tech pub wrong or am not remembering it properly. But figured maybe a pinch of borax every once in awhile could help to keep a self replenished tank in line.

Guess it all depends on how much you're willing to feel out and get to know your tank opposed to doing it by the numbers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin