Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,331   Online: 857

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry I have not answered your question about where the formula came from, I got busy, then I forgot. As Gerald C Koch said, it's the Kodak formula. Available all over the place. I have it in several books, in particular, the Darkroom Cookbook, by Stephen G. Anchell. I don't use D-76, but I developed 800 sheets of 4 x 5 for a photographer, as he shipped it to me over the summer of 2010. He wanted D-76 replenished. I followed Kodak's recommended rates and the guy was pleased with the results. I used store bought developer, but mixed my own replenisher according to the formula above. If you search around you may find teaspoon equivalents if you don't have a scale.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by streetshot View Post
    Following the demise of Kodak-packaged D-76R I thought I would need to find some other developer - or simply go back to D-76 1:1.

Recently I discovered Freestyle Legacy L76R but didn't trust that it was anywhere near the same as D-76R. After several conversations with the tech department at Freestyle I was told the Legacy L76R is identical to D-76R and should be used exactly as the Kodak instructions indicate. After the first 90 rolls - my usual dumping point with a gallon of stock D-76 that had been replenished - I'm not as happy as I thought I might be. The L76R replenished D-76 seemed to lose its potency after the first 50 rolls - way before the same D-76 would when I replenished with the original D-76R. I'm a high volume user so all of this took place over about 4 weeks so there is no issue with the replenished stuff getting "old".

And so I find myself back to square one. In this recent experience the Freestyle replenisher is not behaving like the original and while its something I'd like to avoid I think its time I moved toward mixing my own "real" D-76R from scratch. Can anyone confirm the formula in The Darkroom Cookbook (formula #25) is authentic to the original? Are there alternates?

My thanks to all, this is an amazing resource!

Best,

Michael
    Perhaps it be it would be better to use the Freestyle Legacy L76 developer as well as Freestyle Legacy L76R replenisher.
    I suspect that Kodak's own D-76R was carefully balanced for their own D-76 developer and not for clones such as Ilford ID-11. The manufacturers own products may differ from published formulas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilford ID11 is the same formula as Kodak D76
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    sprint film developer is similar to d76 and from what i remember you can replenish
    with the same stock ... i used to use it deep tank long ago, and replenish that way,
    never a complaint, and they are a great company ... they have saved my skin many a-time.

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thinking about it now, could someone post the recipe for D-76, the Kodak version to go with the already posted D-76R? You never know when that will disappear as well!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Ilford ID11 is the same formula as Kodak D76
    Only the published formulae are the same.

In practice the commercial versions aren't exact clones any longer. Kodak altered the buffering of D76 adding Boric anhydride some years ago. pH's and activity will be slightly different so there will be variations in dev times etc.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Only the published formulae are the same.

In practice the commercial versions aren't exact clones any longer. Kodak altered the buffering of D76 adding Boric anhydride some years ago. pH's and activity will be slightly different so there will be variations in dev times etc.

Ian
    I defer to your superior knowledge Ian, I must admit it's more than twenty years since I did any monochrome darkroom work and my information is obviously out of date, but it's still probably as close as he could get to the original.
    Ben

Darkroom cookbook. I make plain D76 from it and it works perfectly right out to 6 months when it starts to die just like the package mix. The replen is a published formula.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin