Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,953   Posts: 1,586,005   Online: 782

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

The search for a D-76R substitute...

Following the demise of Kodak-packaged D-76R I thought I would need to find some other developer - or simply go back to D-76 1:1. Recently I discovered Freestyle Legacy L76R but didn't trust that it was anywhere near the same as D-76R. After several conversations with the tech department at Freestyle I was told the Legacy L76R is identical to D-76R and should be used exactly as the Kodak instructions indicate. After the first 90 rolls - my usual dumping point with a gallon of stock D-76 that had been replenished - I'm not as happy as I thought I might be. The L76R replenished D-76 seemed to lose its potency after the first 50 rolls - way before the same D-76 would when I replenished with the original D-76R. I'm a high volume user so all of this took place over about 4 weeks so there is no issue with the replenished stuff getting "old".

And so I find myself back to square one. In this recent experience the Freestyle replenisher is not behaving like the original and while its something I'd like to avoid I think its time I moved toward mixing my own "real" D-76R from scratch. Can anyone confirm the formula in The Darkroom Cookbook (formula #25) is authentic to the original? Are there alternates?

My thanks to all, this is an amazing resource!

Best,

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, a replenisher gives back what is consumed, and not what isn't. So there may be less sulfuite, but most likely no bromide, since it, as well as iodides, naturally build in the working slution as you process film. You may get a bit of the alkali, and certainly the developing agents.

I DIY mix from the Darkroom Cookbook all the time, and am always satisfied with the material the authors have compiled.

A gallon of replenished d-76 processes a lot of film.
    How do you find time to print your avergae of 860 plus images that you claim to be shooting each week?
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    nothing wrong with D76 (1+1) but you'll not get 90 rolls out of a gallon - nor even 50. Perhaps, you can live with the 50 rolls that the Legacy D76R is providing? Then again, I have to ask, how many times did you get 90 rolls from a gallon of replenished D76? Maybe the 50 rolls is within normal process variation? I'm thinking even 50 rolls is pretty damned good...why worry about it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would be interested in this as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Freestyle sells Legacy Pro L-76 and Legacy Pro L-76R, which is purported to be clones of Kodak D-76 and D-76R.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak d-76 is $0.50 cents more than the freestyle stuff per gallon mix. What spurred you on to try a clone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't use either. Years ago, I processed enough film to justify D-76 replenished, I actually liked the look better than D-76 one shot.
    The OP was asking, I merely give an option. I have tried the Legacy Pro L-76, looks and acts very close to Kodak product to be a viable alternative if the real thing cannot be found. BTW, the Legacy Pro Micro-x developer is a great substitute for Microdal X.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Understood Mike...it is the "look" I had been getting from the replenished D-76 I want...hence the search to find the right replacement. So far I'm less impressed with the L76R and really question its "identical-to-D76R" promise from Freestyle.

And yes, its no mere claim or boast, I do shoot a lot of film. I don't print everything I shoot (does anyone?) - I make contacts then workprints from there - anywhere from 1 to 6 workprints from each contacted roll. I'm a working photographer.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi Brad. You're right, D-76 1:1 had been my standard for years until I discovered the look I would get from replenished D-76. The actual output doesn't concern me, it is the suspicion its not the same thing...and it appears this is the case for reasons of the reduced performance and sudden expiry of the stock. Not worried in the least though I am eager to find the right replacement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also found the legacy pro clone (though in my test it was the hc-110 clone) was not the same to the kodak original. I was actually surprised at how different it was. Anyway, that doesn't matter.

I do know a fellow that has been replenishing a tank of d-76 w/ normal d-76 ever since D-76r was axed. He runs a lot of film (at a pro lab) and has had about 3500 rolls through the tank he has had going doing such (3.5 gallon). He said he hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary, but that he's been keeping a closer eye on it over the months, and that if it does begin to hint at loosing contrast he spikes it w/ a liter of fresh.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin