Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,948   Online: 772

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151620 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If they'd find some master rolls in 120, and some 4x5 sheets, I'd be interested.

I still have an unopened box of 4x5 from the mid 90s, frozen the entire time except for transit time from TN back to GA when I moved, and even then I packed it in an ice chest with cold packs. Should still be good. Guess I should really use it. Never had the pleasure in 120 as I didn't get a medium format camera until 2010 or so, but shot 35mm and 4x5 in the 90s.

I just don't shoot much 35mm B&W and, when I do, it's fast film because the reason I'm shooting 35mm is usually that the light is too low for my medium format cameras and/or I need to work fast, which usually also means moving subjects and faster shutter speeds.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I still have an unopened box of 4x5 from the mid 90s, frozen the entire time except for transit time from TN back to GA when I moved, and even then I packed it in an ice chest with cold packs. Should still be good. Guess I should really use it.
    Just shot some 8x10 expired in 1995 and stored frozen the entire time. Looks great. Yes you should use, as it's not getting any younger.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too wish they had some 120 frozen in a hidden stash somewhere. I loved that stuff and the tonal range was beautiful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ozphoto View Post
    I too wish they had some 120 frozen in a hidden stash somewhere. I loved that stuff and the tonal range was beautiful.
    I believe the Rollei Retro 100 is still around in 120, at least on eBay from time to time. It's supposedly Agfa APX100. I've got some and it sure acts like APX100.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    > Rollei Retro 100 is still around in 120 ... supposedly Agfa APX100

Yes, it is made from APX 100 - 35 mm material. Medium format film has normally a thinner base, but this one has the thich 135Ám base of 35 mm film. The film is slightly shorter than other 120, but I get 12 images on it on all cameras I tried. APX Medium format film isn't produced anymore, I bought my last packages at least 3 years ago. It has an expiration date of end 2011, but works still fine, of course.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hi Uwe - I asked AgX the below but you seem like another possible candidate for the "fact finding mission".....

What'a say? Do you accept the mission? This post will self destruct 10 seconds after you read it....

What I said in post 90:

Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    A thought AgX, how's bout callin Lupus since you are in the APX homeland? Yo no hablo Deutsche

Ask them all the who/what/why's?

Check if they've a stash a APX 400 coming to market too!

I emailed them but not knowing German, I think I'm "Waiting for Godot"
    Lupus Imaging & Media GmbH & Co. KG

Address:
    Leichlinger Stra▀e 14
    D-40764 Langenfeld
    Germany

Phone: +49(0)2173/20890-0
    Andy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Andy, what do you need to know? The facts are: In the process of closing the Agfa film company it was cheaper processing all remaining raw material to film instead of disposing it. This gave huge amount of 35 mm APX100 master rolls (35 mm material: Gray 135Ám base). Most of the master rolls were frozen are perhaps still frozen.
    APX100 is a fine film. The films made from the last batch were always ridiculous cheap. I bought MF films for 1.65€ per roll (around $2) and 35 mm films for 1.95€ per roll (slightly more than $2) and still have ~ 150 rolls of MF and 50 rolls of 35 mm films in my cellar.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've bought about 150 rolls from Macodirect.de and may buy another hundred as it seems to still be available. In the US, you need to buy quite a few rolls for the shipping costs to make sense.

One of the best medium speed films ever made, IMHO. As shame it is no longer available in 120. The 120 in a Rolleiflex with Rodinal was a classic combo, especially for portraits...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Rolfe - I agree! I've never ever wanted to stockpile film, but for the type of art I've been up to lately, I've no other choice but to be buying loads of this stuff! I hope one of our German brethren can give Lupus a ring and ask how long they think they will be able to supply this film and other questions to gather some intel....
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used mainly APX100 since the last five years but as for now I'm silently wishing it would just go away. I don't like to cling on a dying film and fire selling old film stock hinders smaller firms like Adox from introducing new 100 speed films on the market. That's too bad for the future of film I think.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin