Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,053   Posts: 1,561,249   Online: 1040

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 913141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    But in an off topic rant here, why do people here continually use the word chemistry in place of the word chemicals?? This annoys me to no end!
    I've always used term as a collective descriptor encompassing all of the individual chemicals, chemical processes, equipment, voodoo, and magic that makes film photography possible. Sort of like the second definition here.

As in, the chemistry of photography.

PE, whadaya' say?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I totally agree with Ken's statement above. Pay for the damn film and keep profit in the business!

But in an off topic rant here, why do people here continually use the word chemistry in place of the word chemicals?? This annoys me to no end! (I know, 1st world problem!)

I have been a professional chemist for 20 years and NOT ONCE during that time, nor at any time during my 4 years of undergraduate to get my Chem degree nor at all during my graduate education have I ever heard the word chemistry used as it is in the photography world (in place of the word chemical or chemicals).

I can only speculate that this is a corruption by non chemists. Or perhaps the word chemical is scary to the non chemist? Implying something more dangerous?
    Yea it's collective of the film photography world, you're right it goes back to non-chemists, it's the same for a lot of things in the film and movie industry world, the head electrician on a movie set is called a "Gaffer", and the second in command is called the "Best Boy" this goes back to a time when electricity didn't exist and you lit the movie lights with a gaffing stick which was a very long stick used to light the oil street lamps on the street in city areas every night and the best boy was the best apprentice, who then was always a boy.

Chemistry is the same thing in photography, just like Hypo, isn't really hypo, which is why it's now called fixer... that one got corrected at least partially... even though the hypo-clear is still called hypo-clear instead of fixer-clear haha

Anyway there's lots of crazy confusing terms in photography that aren't correct, but it's sort of what happens when you spend your life in a dark room sniffing CHEMICALS, they all become CHEMISTRY to you
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Regular Tri-X or Tri-X Pan Profesisonal? There's a difference...

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Regular Tri-X. For most of its life that's all there was. Kodak Tri-X, ASA 400.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...it's the same for a lot of things in the film and movie industry world, the head electrician on a movie set is called a "Gaffer", and the second in command is called the "Best Boy" this goes back to a time when electricity didn't exist and you lit the movie lights with a gaffing stick which was a very long stick used to light the oil street lamps on the street in city areas every night and the best boy was the best apprentice, who then was always a boy.
    Stone! You dog! THAT gem was worth the wait! I love those kinds of obscure Odditorium stories!

It's like, you'd be amazed at the number of blank stares you get if you ask people why it is that every New Year's Eve they lower a giant ball on a pole to signify the end of one year and the beginning of the next. Nobody knows...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Regular Tri-X. For most of its life that's all there was. Kodak Tri-X, ASA 400.
    That's an incorrect statement, Tri-X was introduced in 1954, and Tri-X Pan Professional (320ASA) has been around since the 1960's...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I've always used term as a collective descriptor encompassing all of the individual chemicals, chemical processes, equipment, voodoo, and magic that makes film photography possible. Sort of like the second definition here.

As in, the chemistry of photography.

PE, whadaya' say?

Ken
    Yes, I can understand why the word chemistry is used and how it fits into such context. But you will never, ever hear a "proper" chemist speak that way. PE might not count because he was deeply immersed in the photography world and may have been corrupted by you people.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's an incorrect statement, Tri-X was introduced in 1954, and Tri-X Pan Professional (320ASA) has been around since the 1960's...

Glad to see you're paying attention!

Which is a face-saving way of saying "D'oh!"
    I was thinking 320 was more recent, but can't cite anything. Interesting that Kodak claims 1954 as the introduction of 400, which is when it was brought out in 135/120, considering that Tri-X the film came out in about 1939/1940, though just in sheet form, as I understand it. So I suppose 320 being the Tri-X in sheet form these days, it could claim descendency from the original.

Anyway, don't attach much to the word "Professional". Remember that the Elitechromes were listed on the Kodak website as consumer films, but they were called Kodak Professional Elitechrome 100, 200, and Extra Color 100.

Also, the 400TX box says Professional on it.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    C'mon Ratty - be a trend setter, tell all your colleagues it is "chemistry" all the cool folks are doing it....

Now here's one to "prove" it is chemistry:

A brick layer uses.....bricks
    A painter uses.....paint
    A pianist uses.....a piano
    A speaker uses.....speech
    A chemist uses..........

*shrugs his shoulders/palms out in wonder/dopey grin*
    [loud applause]
    [laughing]
    *have a great evening ladies and gentlemen, it's been a treat....*
    [cutain falls]
    Andy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Glad to see you're paying attention!

Which is a face-saving way of saying "D'oh!"
    I was thinking 320 was more recent, but can't cite anything. Interesting that Kodak claims 1954 as the introduction of 400, which is when it was brought out in 135/120, considering that Tri-X the film came out in about 1939/1940, though just in sheet form, as I understand it. So I suppose 320 being the Tri-X in sheet form these days, it could claim descendency from the original.

Anyway, don't attach much to the word "Professional". Remember that the Elitechromes were listed on the Kodak website as consumer films, but they were called Kodak Professional Elitechrome 100, 200, and Extra Color 100.

Also, the 400TX box says Professional on it.
    Haha no worries, I would say that 400TX is its own animal since its a reformulation and is obviously much finer grained etc (it's possible they just made all the "regular Tri-x into Pan Professional too and bumped the sensitivity hehe)

Regarding the TXP 320 stuff, I honestly wouldn't have known if this weren't in my fridge...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374810181.196959.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	72164
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374810204.719670.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	72165

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    C'mon Ratty - be a trend setter, tell all your colleagues it is "chemistry" all the cool folks are doing it....

Now here's one to "prove" it is chemistry:

A brick layer uses.....bricks
    A painter uses.....paint
    A pianist uses.....a piano
    A speaker uses.....speech
    A chemist uses..........

*shrugs his shoulders/palms out in wonder/dopey grin*
    [loud applause]
    [laughing]
    *have a great evening ladies and gentlemen, it's been a treat....*
    [cutain falls]
    I dont work with anyone cool.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin