Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,527   Posts: 1,572,391   Online: 1119

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1014151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Speaking of film prices, yesterday I went into Freestyle to pick up more Fuji Acros in the 120 five roll pack. I was not prepared for the price increase; I thought it had already taken effect previously. Prices jumped up for 135 as well. So now I find myself once again trying to convince myself to stay with film even though the prices are at a point where it just doesn't make sense for me. I'm just a working class guy living paycheck to paycheck. As prices have risen over the past few years I had to make adjustments; I no longer shoot Delta 3200, I gave up on Adox/Efke because the spotty QC didn't justify their prices even though I loved the look these films produce. I tried to simply shoot less, but that didn't work out. I'm shooting more now then in years previously; I'm shooting about 65-75 rolls a month combined 120 and 135. I even gave Freestyles Arista.Edu line a try and although I didn't like the results I got in 135, the 120 size fed through my RZ67 blew me away! Amazing sharpness and great tonality. I bought 100 rolls and shot about 50 before I noticed some scratches on the face of a portrait. Further issues appeared in the way of splotchy highlights. So I gave up on Arista/ Foma. So I felt good that Fuji could always be counted on for stellar QC at a affordable price point. From what I've read, what they make in profit in their other products is what keeps their film division on life support. Now that their prices are no longer affordable for me, once I use up what I have in my freezer I'll have to look for alternatives. I want to stay with film for as long as I can, but I may have to switch to digital unless prices start coming down a bit or the QC from some of the smaller companies improves.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marcmarc View Post
    Speaking of film prices, yesterday I went into Freestyle to pick up more Fuji Acros in the 120 five roll pack. I was not prepared for the price increase; I thought it had already taken effect previously. Prices jumped up for 135 as well. So now I find myself once again trying to convince myself to stay with film even though the prices are at a point where it just doesn't make sense for me. I'm just a working class guy living paycheck to paycheck. As prices have risen over the past few years I had to make adjustments; I no longer shoot Delta 3200, I gave up on Adox/Efke because the spotty QC didn't justify their prices even though I loved the look these films produce. I tried to simply shoot less, but that didn't work out. I'm shooting more now then in years previously; I'm shooting about 65-75 rolls a month combined 120 and 135. I even gave Freestyles Arista.Edu line a try and although I didn't like the results I got in 135, the 120 size fed through my RZ67 blew me away! Amazing sharpness and great tonality. I bought 100 rolls and shot about 50 before I noticed some scratches on the face of a portrait. Further issues appeared in the way of splotchy highlights. So I gave up on Arista/ Foma. So I felt good that Fuji could always be counted on for stellar QC at a affordable price point. From what I've read, what they make in profit in their other products is what keeps their film division on life support. Now that their prices are no longer affordable for me, once I use up what I have in my freezer I'll have to look for alternatives. I want to stay with film for as long as I can, but I may have to switch to digital unless prices start coming down a bit or the QC from some of the smaller companies improves.
    Holy crap that's a lot of film a month... I shoot about 4 rolls a month.

What do you do with all the images if you're making that many photos you should be getting something worth selling? Maybe you can use the images to fund your further use of film?

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's 5$ for a roll of ACR100 in 120 and 57$ for 20 sheets of 4x5. Doesn't seem particularly expensive to me.

Also 400TX is 4.39$ (after rebate) in 135, and 25$ for a pack of 5 in 120. 50 sheets of TMY2 is 96$, etc. Also not particularly expensive (although I wish the 4x5 were of course cheaper).
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    It's 5$ for a roll of ACR100 in 120 and 57$ for 20 sheets of 4x5. Doesn't seem particularly expensive to me.

Also 400TX is 4.39$ (after rebate) in 135, and 25$ for a pack of 5 in 120. 50 sheets of TMY2 is 96$, etc. Also not particularly expensive (although I wish the 4x5 were of course cheaper).
    Compare the Kodak to the Ilford prices in sheet film...and look at the quantity differences.

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Compare the Kodak to the Ilford prices in sheet film...and look at the quantity differences.
    Yes, I realize that. But the point is the prices I quoted above are reasonable and I'll pay them without crying about it. I love Ilford, but I'm not going to exclusively only use Ilford and bullheadedly let Kodak just die when they're putting out incredible products we should all be using.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Holy crap that's a lot of film a month... I shoot about 4 rolls a month.

What do you do with all the images if you're making that many photos you should be getting something worth selling? Maybe you can use the images to fund your further use of film?

I agree, I can't imagine shooting that much film in a month unless it's your full time job. I still have months old rolls yet to develop anyway. Even if I shot fifty rolls it would take me two years to develop and proof them. I have too much other stuff going on in my life to shoot that much, much less develop, proof and print from that many rolls.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I agree, I can't imagine shooting that much film in a month unless it's your full time job. I still have months old rolls yet to develop anyway. Even if I shot fifty rolls it would take me two years to develop and proof them. I have too much other stuff going on in my life to shoot that much, much less develop, proof and print from that many rolls.
    Yea, especially the color. Maybe he sends it out and has the lab scan it etc.

I have 26 rolls of C-41 (I'm doing one run then I'm done with it haha) and about 6-8 rolls of E-6 waiting for me, and 3-5 B&W film waiting, oh and 2 rolls of ECN-2 that will take me a month to process it all...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been shooting about 15-20 rolls a week on my days off. I do my own developing and printing. I'm a street shooter so that explains the high volume. I set out early morning and finish up by late afternoon. On days where I shoot at a parade or political rally it's not uncommon for me to shoot many more. I shot about 40 rolls of 135 Acros at the May Day march and about the same number of 120 rolls at the Long Beach Gay Pride parade also last may, I recently took pictures at a Trayvon Martin rally etc. So yes, I do shoot an awful lot and I don't want to shoot less, I want to shoot more; there is so much happening these days. Given the fact that I live in LA which has a high cost of living, high taxes and so fourth, it's my photography that I have to make cuts to help even out my expenses. If anything else, I'll just limit myself to Kentmere 100 in 135 until the markets and economies stabilize and I can start shooting to my hearts content without wondering if I'll have enough to pay my electric bill at the end of the month. Hey, if I don't I'll at least have a 24 hour home darkroom lol! Happy shooting everyone.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Correction, it was Fp4 I used at the May Day march. These were purchased in the buy 2 get one free pack that Ilford introduced some time ago. Either way, as you can see I'm a heavy film user and as prices climb it does make a difference in my budget.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I hope I don't sound like I'm being cheap because I don't think that I am. I'm just trying to be smart with my spending given my modest income and the high cost of living area I'm in. If I were simply being cheap then I would use the off brand films like Lucky and just accept the flaws as a part of using a cheaply made and sold film. However, I don't want to compromise quality so that's why I want to stay a customer of Ilford, Fuji and Kodak even though it's frustrating when prices go up because it makes one feel that there isn't much other choice.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin