Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,180   Online: 822

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14181920212223242526 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    John, I don't want to sound unsympathetic. But as a transparency film shooter, I've seen at least 8 different color slide films completely discontinued in the last 4 years, and I face the very real possibility of every single one being gone long before I'm done with photography. If that happens, I will adjust, and hope I have color negative film for a while longer.
    Noooooo LX^ Dont give up hope, Ferrania is comin' back!
    http://www.filmferrania.it/blog/
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could there be some kind of IP problem with major companies spooling 620 film? I would think if the eBay vendors and B&H and such could sell it then Kodak doesn't have it locked up in a patent or something. But I don't understand why 127 was available until their demise from Efke but no film company makes 620 directly - obviously some people respool it for resale.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    John, just buy some spools man. The problem is easily solvable with 5 minutes in eBay.
    Some of those prices though are outrageous, and you can never be sure if they are ok. I have a couple that are rather well worn, and they slip.

The idea of having a cheap plastic version available, would be great - that way 120 could continue and those of us who have our 620 cameras could happily continue to shoot and add to the 120 sales.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WRT 620, it is probably a "minimum order" problem.

Something like the spool manufacturers would be happy to supply you upon receipt of your pre-paid order for 500,000 spools.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or why not just cut down plastic 120 spools to fit? That's even easier than respooling 120 to 620, in my opinion. Just a few seconds with some scissors and you're done.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Ilford just had 122 as an option in their ULF run this year, not enough people ordered it so it was the only one that didn't get ordered... I think the minimum for that was 10 rolls and only 4-6 got ordered in total, they were of course about $220-$260 per 50 foot roll, but still, if you want it bad enough, buy 10 to guarantee the order...

Also, you can buy 620 spools fresh in ... Provia 100f, Velvia 100f, E100G, Portra160, Tmax100, Tri-X Pan, and Tmax400 ... so stop your complaining... the work is already done for you.... sheesh! go buy some spools...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...op+Nav-Search=
    StoneNYC my man, I already have 620 spools coming out my ears and I "roll my own" all the time. As for the work already done for me? I don't follow I guess. If it were already done it would be on a 620 spool when I bought it. I'm not saying ADOX or anybody else has to carry a full line of color and B&W films in 620, but it would be sweet to be able to place an order for my normal 120 quota and also slip a few 620 B&W rolls in. Heck, start with an ISO 100 and then maybe add ISO 400 and then................Sheesh! Also, the average Joe with an old 620 or other obsolete film size has NO idea of Ilfords special order quota films, but the do know how to go to a retail film site or store. I'll keep buying my 120 film and throwing some of that on my 620 spools, but I'll still keep questioning some of the decisions companies are now making.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Could there be some kind of IP problem with major companies spooling 620 film? I would think if the eBay vendors and B&H and such could sell it then Kodak doesn't have it locked up in a patent or something. But I don't understand why 127 was available until their demise from Efke but no film company makes 620 directly - obviously some people respool it for resale.
    Roger, I think the 127 film hanging in there longer had more to do with cult cameras and "Super Slides" than anything else. First, you had the Baby Rollei's, Sawyer's, Yashica's and the like. Plus, there were a large number of folks that were really hung on the "Super Slide" thing(I wasn't one of them). The other formats like 616/116/620 had there camera bases production stopped well before Rollei, Yashica and others stopped making 127 format cameras. Kodak made the decision to stop 620 camera production and after that stop supplying 620 film. Now some folks here think Kodak did the smart thing, but I don't think that. How many of us have had a product(car, mower, power tool, etc.) that we really liked or even loved, breakdown on us only to find out we can't get it fixed or worse yet can't even get a part to fix it yourself? I don't know how anybody else felt, but I know when I had to replace said mower of whatever, I certainly didn't look in the direction of the company that made the one they obsoleted. That's just me and the way I am of course. Roger, I agree with you that there shouldn't be a legal problem running 620 film size, but who know??? Johnw

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    Or why not just cut down plastic 120 spools to fit? That's even easier than respooling 120 to 620, in my opinion. Just a few seconds with some scissors and you're done.
    I have done exactly what you suggest and it is faster and easier, but also more trouble prone(at least that's what I have found). I've used X-acto knives, large and small nail clippers and scissors, but have had a problem with slight edge light leaks. My method for "rolling my own" I am pretty fast and have no light leak problem. So, I stick to "rolling my own". JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wiegerink View Post
    My method for "rolling my own" I am pretty fast and have no light leak problem. So, I stick to "rolling my own". JohnW
    Whatever works for you! ...although having ready-made 620 film available for the same price as 120 would no doubt be easiest.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    WRT 620, it is probably a "minimum order" problem.

Something like the spool manufacturers would be happy to supply you upon receipt of your pre-paid order for 500,000 spools.
    Matt, you might be right, but I bet some of those Chinese/European/American plastic firms might just surprise you on the minimum order. If they sent them a few blank 620 spools for their mold making I'm sure they would let them know. If the company is big enough there might not be any minimum order. Especially if they were already dealing with them since somebody has to be making their 120 spools, because I'm sure they aren't. Just a thought!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin