Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,644   Online: 691

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    Similar questions about APX are often asked in this forum, the answers are always the same:

1. "Lupus Imaging & Media was founded in 2005 as a wholesale company for photographic products." They have no manufacturing facilities for film - like Maco, Freestyle and others. Lupus' b/w films are made from big frozen Agfa rolls, and their color films are fresh products made by Fuji. All those are good films, but they were produced by other companies.
    2. There is nobody who produces APX films today. All 120 APX films were sold out a long time ago, 35mm ist still available, made from big old frozen rolls.
    3. Adox/Fotoimpex announced to produce an Adox APX 100 and 400, but they are not available yet.
    4. All films that are claimed to be "successors" or "almost identical" have almost or absolutely nothing in common with these films, but some companies love to pull a fast one on their customers.

And that's the whole story.
    This is hilarious! However it is true. But I ask, can we prove this yet? For eg, APX 100 is all over the place. Is this really from frozen rolls produced in the '80s still*?

*OK I exaggerated a bit, but seriously it seems that folks suggest that Agfa made "master rolls" in 2005 that are frozen and unfrozen to make this supply.......we seem to be talking about millions of feet of at this point....when's the APX 100 well gonna dry? Why's it seem to be flowing even better now in mid-2013 than in years???

Is no one buying these last frozen-master-rolls because they think the wells gonna dry any min?
    Andy

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To buy these master-rolls (or moe likely 35mm rolls) there must be someone to sell them...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Had a quick look in my freezer and I've still got 7 bulk rolls (33m/100ft) of Agfapan APX100 (Expire 7/2010) and 20 rolls of Agfapan 36exp APX100 (Expire 7/2010). I bought this right after I heard Agfa had gone bust and it's been frozen ever since.

Feels like I've had it forever - so I'd take a guess there's quite a bit still out there of the original stock (not the AGFAPhoto stuff), if those who loved it bought up big.

Just wish I'd bought a whole ton of paper at the same time - but from all reports, the ADOX version is right up there, so I'll try to get my hands on some of it to test out.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Adox MCC is pretty much exactly (near enough) the same. Do not sleep on that paper as it's excellent.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Adox MCC is pretty much exactly (near enough) the same. Do not sleep on that paper as it's excellent.
    Thanks Clayne - just need to find a supplier here in AU, or one who doesn't charge a King's Ransom for shipping.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ozphoto View Post
    Thanks Clayne - just need to find a supplier here in AU, or one who doesn't charge a King's Ransom for shipping.
    What are some of the rates for Freestyle shipping it over? You might try and call them and see if they can work out a surface rate. Even if it takes a bit longer and is exposed to heat, I imagine the costs would be much less and any heat damage (if any) relatively low. Either way, they've got to be getting it from DE now, as it is.

Damn oceans.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    It is, except it's on a bright white base, whiter than the previous Agfa version. It's a lovely paper, but I am tending more toward MGIV MGFB lately because it responds more to selenium. Adox MCC 110 does change color somewhat in selenium, but not as much or as quickly as MGIV. But it's a slightly warm paper that will cool to neutral. It doesn't seem capable of a true cool tone. If that suits you though it's great stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the input, Roger. I only really use selenium for archival purposes, so colour shifts aren't a problem for me - cool to neutral sits just fine with me. If I'm after a warmer tone, I usually head towards FB paper. I'll have to do a comparison test side by side, and see if it's a paper I'd like to change to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My comments were about the fiber based MCC 110. The MCP RC paper is also much like the old Agfa RC though. And it isn't cool to neutral, it's slightly warm to neutral, just like the old Agfa MCC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    It is, except it's on a bright white base, whiter than the previous Agfa version. It's a lovely paper, but I am tending more toward MGIV MGFB lately because it responds more to selenium. Adox MCC 110 does change color somewhat in selenium, but not as much or as quickly as MGIV. But it's a slightly warm paper that will cool to neutral. It doesn't seem capable of a true cool tone. If that suits you though it's great stuff.
    This is absolutely not my experience at all. Both MCC original and MCC ADOX respond to selenium in fairly predictable and reasonably significant fashion, from what I've found in using both. MGIV is notoriously resistant to the effects of Se - mainly dropping blacks (beneficial) but not changing tone much other than going colder and colder magenta the longer it's toned. MGWT is of course much more responsive. Between MGWT and MGIV, I place MCC in the middle, with MGIV far in the direction of most resistant to Se toner.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin