Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,928   Posts: 1,522,163   Online: 1032

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing to keep in mind I think is that I do not think expiration dates are regulated. They are merely the interpretation and opinion by the manufacturer as to when the product is at its "best". You know like a Best By date on a food product. Past that date does not mean its now gone bad just that it may be past what the producer feels is its top quality. And that is likely very subjective. So no telling who might be using the same master rolls that might have been chopped into 35mm rolls sold by Agfa as expiring in 2011 and since they are only recently coming out of deep freeze are being sold with later expiry dates. Likely the same darn film but now out of "suspended animation" and therefore the expiry clock is only now more recently started.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    5 of my bulk rolls have Em. No. 697, the other 2 Em No. 698; however, they all have the same Batch Code (?): B9Q25

Not sure of any edge markings as I haven't started rolling these yet - and the last batch of 35mm I rolled from bulk, was well before they shut up shop.

The two 10pk bricks (APX 36 exp) expire 7/2010 with Emulsion No. 697 also, again, can't be sure of edge markings at this time.

All of this stock was snapped up when I heard Agfa were done and dusted - I thought it would be disappearing rather quickly and that the prices would hit the roof (and some people *are* charging crazy prices!!), but I guess they had a lot more in storage than we thought. . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind I think is that I do not think expiration dates are regulated. They are merely the interpretation and opinion by the manufacturer as to when the product is at its "best". You know like a Best By date on a food product. Past that date does not mean its now gone bad just that it may be past what the producer feels is its top quality. And that is likely very subjective. So no telling who might be using the same master rolls that might have been chopped into 35mm rolls sold by Agfa as expiring in 2011 and since they are only recently coming out of deep freeze are being sold with later expiry dates. Likely the same darn film but now out of "suspended animation" and therefore the expiry clock is only now more recently started.
    A good point - the dates are imprinted on the boxes and the bulk roll labels, rather than the film - maybe the only way you could really know, is if someone had some film they purchased in 05 that has the same edging as those now being sold. 8 years and still counting.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have some '08 stuff I could check... (might also have '11 as well).
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ohhh....now were talking

I smell a Apug-Scooby-Doo-'you-pesky-kids'-film-conspiracy-freeze-thaw-sale-scandal this will send shockwaves through the entire still-photographic-b/w-film industry.....

All the press will be hounding us with pictures of our APX 100 edge marks and box markings....

Press releases/interviews/statements abound.....

Perez, Simon, Mirko et al., press releases and all over the media by the 10a tomorrow.....here we go folks

Going to bed now....EU and Eastern folks....keep the ball rollin....
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    APX100 Bulk Roll 90/91? - 307
    APX100 Bulk Roll 1993 - 373
    APX100 Bulk Roll 1998 - 568
    APX100 Bulk Roll 2004 - 585
    APX100 Bulk Roll 2005 - 697 - currently frozen purchased 2005

I'm sure I had some 36exp films in use during that time as well, but couldn't find it with a quick glance. If I do, I'll post it later.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Ohhh....now were talking

I smell a Apug-Scooby-Doo-'you-pesky-kids'-film-conspiracy-freeze-thaw-sale-scandal this will send shockwaves through the entire still-photographic-b/w-film industry.....

All the press will be hounding us with pictures of our APX 100 edge marks and box markings....

Press releases/interviews/statements abound.....

Perez, Simon, Mirko et al., press releases and all over the media by the 10a tomorrow.....here we go folks

Going to bed now....EU and Eastern folks....keep the ball rollin....

Hello Andy,

as you are so interested in this matter, why do you not just ask fellow member Mirko (Apug handle: ADOX Fotoimpex)?

He sells the AgfaPhoto branded conversion, the same time he is a competitor due to his own arising manufacture.
    From the rest of us you likely won't get better answers than what has been posted above.

Shooter
    35mm
    The general practice, not just for this Agfa product, seems to be that the expiry date is set when the master roll is taken from cold storage, usually for 2 to 3 years later. The only roll of APX100 I have floating around came from Agfaphoto (Lupus Imaging) about 2 to 3 years ago. The batch number is UDO 699 and the expiry date 01/2013. I think the operative part of the batch number is the 699 - the letters probably are a code used by the packager, which in this case very much looks like it was the late lamented Ferrania.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    AgX - I'd love for Mirko to comment, it's almost 10am

Back in 2007, he theorized that APX 100 could dry up in 2008....
    ...Depending on how this goes we would then shedule a first production for early to mid 2008 if Agfa┤s leftover quantities are off the markets by then....
    Something seems really odd re the continual supply of APX 100 in 35mm. I love it, not complaining. It's just that I search Apug and see the common buzz words "master rolls", "frozen", etc....

I'm starting to wonder when will this end? Seems like it's all Internet lore with no real facts....

I emailed Lupus, no reply...
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    A thought AgX, how's bout callin Lupus since you are in the APX homeland? Yo no hablo Deutsche

Ask them all the who/what/why's?

Check if they've a stash a APX 400 coming to market too!

I emailed them but not knowing German, I think I'm "Waiting for Godot"

Lupus Imaging & Media GmbH & Co. KG

Address:
    Leichlinger Stra▀e 14
    D-40764 Langenfeld
    Germany

Phone: +49(0)2173/20890-0
    Andy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin