Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,080   Online: 912

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Substitute for Edwal Platinum paper developer (not II)

A while back, around 2002, I was browsing my most cherished camera store in the world, Linden Camera in London, Ontario, and I found a small treasure: a bunch of old bottles of Edwal Platinum paper developer.

I've been using these bottles since and I believe I'm addicted to it. The thing is that I moved back to Brazil and brought that stuff with me, now it is over.

I am looking for something similar I could make with a bunch of raw chemicals I have at hand.

I'm attaching scans of the label, with the safety warnings and stuff. Maybe these could help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edwal1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	42984

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edwal2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	42985

I feel this developer works very well with old paper. Does anyone know which restrainer it employs? From the label text, is it truly a MQ developer?

I'll appreciate any input, insight or idea. My other developer for paper is usually the formula for Agfa 108, but I feel this Edwal developer is more versatile with different papers and I don't have to use more restrainer on it.

Thanks for you attention.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I loved Platinum, and was bummed when it got really difficult to get shipped to where I am. I went from Platinum to Kodak Ektonal, and after a few years of using that it was discontinued. I'd try Defender 54-D or 55-D for warm tones, for me Defender 54-D was as close as being interchangeable. Don't have the formula in front of me, I'll look it up if you can't find it online.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks! Will give it a try!

Per Darkroom Cookbook:

metol 2.7g
    sulfite 40g
    hydroquinone 10.6g
    carbonate 75g
    bromide 0.8g
    water to 1 liter

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin