Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,114   Online: 963

Shooter
    35mm RF

Will the real Mytol please stand up

I've discovered three formula's for Paul Lewis' Mytol developer (a clone of XTOL). They are:

Formula #1: Published in The Darkroom Cookbook:
    Water ..................................... 750 ml
    Sodium sulfite (anhydrous) ....... 85 g
    Sodium metaborate 4H2O ........ 4 g
    Sodium ascorbate ................... 12 g
    Phenidone .............................. 0.15 g
    Sodium metabisulfite .............. 3 g
    Water to 1 L

Formula #2: Published in The Film Developing Cookbook:
    Sodium sulfite (anhydrous) ....... 60 g
    Sodium ascorbate ................... 12 g
    Sodium metabisulfite ............... 3 g
    Water to 1 L
    Formula #3: From an apug.org posting:
    Sodium sulfite (anhydrous) ....... 60 g
    Sodium ascorbate ................... 13 g
    Sodium metabisulfite ............... 3 g
    Water to 1 L
    Any idea which one is correct?
    For comparison, here's a formula for XTOL which I took from the XTOL-patent which I downloaded:

Sodium sulfite ........................ 85 g
    DTPA .................................... 1 g (omitted in Mytol)
    Sodium metaborate (8 mol) ..... 4 g
    Sodium isoascorbate ............. 12 g
    Dimezone S .......................... 0.2 g (Phenidone = 0.15 in Mytol due to higher activity?)
    Sodium metabisulfite ............. 3.5 g (= 3.0 in Mytol)
    I'm tempted to say that formula #1 is correct because its sulfite agrees with XTOL (85g), but I wonder if the lower Sodium metabisulfite in it will cause the pH to be too high. Unless that compensates for the omission of DTPA (is DTPA a base?).

Formulas #1 and #2 differ in sulfite, but I see no change in anything else to adjust pH, making me think one of these must be wrong. Grrr...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I remember correctly, in the Cookbook they indicate that neither Mytol formula is "wrong", they were just two slightly different formulas (different amounts of sulfite). The idea would be for the formula with the lower sulfite to be slightly sharper and the formula with the higher sulfite to be slightly finer grained. However "slightly" is the key word and an understatement at that. The 25g difference is small and the differences between the two formulas in the real world would be more or less trivial.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    If I remember correctly, in the Cookbook they indicate that neither Mytol formula is "wrong", they were just two slightly different formulas (different amounts of sulfite). The idea would be for the formula with the lower sulfite to be slightly sharper and the formula with the higher sulfite to be slightly finer grained. However "slightly" is the key word and an understatement at that. The 25g difference is small and the differences between the two formulas in the real world would be more or less trivial.
    Yes, you do remember correctly, and I should have mentioned that note in my posting. Sulfite is an alkali, and changing it will change pH. But I see no other change to compensate for that pH-change, making me think the 85g version will be too alkaline (pH too high). Unless, as you said, the change is too small to matter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wish that I could do a New York accent here -- "Don't worry about it!" The differences in the 4 formulas are not enough to be of concern. Pick one and use it. The last time I looked the definition of photography was the art of taking pictures not obsessing about this developer or that developer.

Kodak uses the isoascorbate because it is cheaper and slightly more active. The molecular weights of the developing agents Phenidone, Dimazone S, etc are all slightly different as are their activities. Small difference are possible because of this.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 12-14-2011 at 09:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by albada View Post
    Yes, you do remember correctly, and I should have mentioned that note in my posting. Sulfite is an alkali, and changing it will change pH. But I see no other change to compensate for that pH-change, making me think the 85g version will be too alkaline (pH too high). Unless, as you said, the change is too small to matter.
    Sodium Metaborate is really the alkali activator in these formulas (XTOL is buffered). The small differences in Sodium Sulfite concentration should have no meaningful effect on activity. Gerald is correct - pick either one and go forth.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    FaGedAboudIt! Dare ya go.. Oh Aeah E I O U.... sump times WHY?

Why not test all of em, couple a two tree o four, n help everyone here learn sumptin? OOOOooo!
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    FaGedAboudIt!
    This is exactly what I had in mind. I could hear it in my head but didn't know how to transcribe it. Thanks!

Jerry
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 12-14-2011 at 10:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The change in pH between 60 and 85 g/l of sulfite is not going to be very much. As I said previously you are not going to see much difference in activity among the four formulas.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    The change in pH between 60 and 85 g/l of sulfite is not going to be very much. As I said previously you are not going to see much difference in activity among the four formulas.
    I got the point, and I was culturally enriched in the process!

Mark Overton

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin