Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,804   Online: 682

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pyrocat-MC Alternative Mixing Directions

Folks,

While looking over the pyrocat-MC formula, I noted that on the pyrocathd.com website,

http://www.pyrocat-hd.com/html/mixing.html

it states that you can bring the propylene glycol to 250 degrees and all the chemicals will go into solution without water.

The question is do you still need the TEA/metol slurry thing, or can you forego the TEA too?

Thanks!

Cheers, Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, and is there an order to adding the chemicals?

Cheers, Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Folks,

Answered my own question by trial. No you don't need TEA or water. At about 250 degrees (probably 200-220 would be plenty) the metol and pyrocatechin quickly go into solution. The ascorbic was the slowest, but not a problem. I added metol, pyrocatechin, and ascorbic in this order.

Cheers, Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Over in the articles is a thread about this formula. Gainer's method to avoid the water and TEA was to use glycerol as the first solvent. When I read that article, I wondered if the resulting developer would be the same as the original -MC. I had been under the impression that the TEA enabled an important reaction with the metol, but maybe not.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum224/...irections.html

Anyway, it would be good to hear from you how this actually develops when you have some results.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin