Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,322   Posts: 1,536,886   Online: 1067

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I second or third. Simon, look at HP Computer, they tried to have a go at tablets and that didn't work out so the made the operating system open source (WebOS), maybe something similar could be done to the cold tone magic formula ("open source") or maybe be sold to someone else? I'm a "cold toner" who is addicted to gold chloride to get my cold blue/blacks.
    Andy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

The HARMAN Warmtone and Coldtone developers were conceived as giving further options to printers in relation to image tone. We developed and tested them extensively and launched....Warmtone went steller...Cooltone did'nt even sell out its initial production run, the stock went out of our quality time gateway and had to be destroyed...this period extended to 18 months.

Our whole philosophy at HARMAN is to keep everything we make in production, which by and large we have done...films, papers and chemicals and in all formats and we are very proud of that, with chemistry you must have a viable manufacturing volume, matched to a specified sell through period, this is to ensure economic manufacture ( and a reasonable selling price for the consumer ) and to avoid stock write-off, Cooltone Dev, very regrettably never got to the first hurdle, never mind cleared it, so I need to be really honest here and say I cannot envisage that under any circumstances it will return. Sorry.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I loved the Cooltone dev and have not found one that works quite the same with MGWT paper. I'm sure it's been asked before, but has there been any thoughts of supplying it as a powder developer which would have better storage possibilities?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear All,

...I need to be really honest here and say I cannot envisage that under any circumstances it will return. Sorry.

If it is never, ever to return,

is there any chance of (and any harm to Harman by) giving us a hint as to what the magic component might be that made Cooltone uniquely 'cold' ?

Benzotriazole, as recommended in the usual developer cook book formulas, just doesn't have nearly the right effect...
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I promise I will speak to the powers that be to see if they will release the IP around the product.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Crawford View Post
    I loved the Cooltone dev and have not found one that works quite the same with MGWT paper. I'm sure it's been asked before, but has there been any thoughts of supplying it as a powder developer which would have better storage possibilities?
    I have used Moersch SE6 Blue developer with MGWT and WOW! It cools it down amazing well. And the best thing is that when selenium toned it goes a cool gray instead of the reddish browns it normal does with other developers. However, I'm not using this developer anymore though, my reason is that it is just too expensive. I've since gone to the Ansco 130 formula, omitting the potassium bromide, upping the carbonate slightly and adding 15ml of 1% sol. of benzotriazole per liter of developer. I thank Evan Clarke for this recommendation. This works great on MGIV and cools down MGWT slightly.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I agree that Moresch exists as an alt but that price is a bit out there! Thanks for posting your Ansco 130 BZT/carbonate route. Brian is this the same brew that Evan Clark uses too? Might have to mix me some

It sure would be fun if Simon comes through with the magic ingredient(s), I can imagine it being exotic like tears from a blue unicorn procured on the evening of a blue moon whilst the unicorn listens to....blues.

Thanks Simon for checking!
    Andy

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Andy, yes this is the brew that Evan uses. He dilutes 1:3 for 2 minutes and uses it at 73 degrees, mostly with MGWT I beleive. I have used it 1:1 and 1:3 but develop for 3 minutes with MGIV to get the coldest tones I can. After selenium toning for 6-7 minutes at 1:9 it is very coolish, a nice look.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Very nice intel! Memo pad out, notes taken! Formulary order in effect! Thanks
    Andy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have used both Cooltone and Moersch SE6 (with and without "finisher blue" aka Benzotriazol) with Adox' MCC 110, and while both give nice neutral-cool results, Cooltone gave cooler results and the better Dmax on that paper. With no amount of Benzotriazol could I cool the SE 6 result to the Cooltone result. I still have three bottles and wish it would come back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin