Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,139   Online: 1152

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by acroell View Post
    I have used both Cooltone and Moersch SE6 (with and without "finisher blue" aka Benzotriazol) with Adox' MCC 110, and while both give nice neutral-cool results, Cooltone gave cooler results and the better Dmax on that paper. With no amount of Benzotriazol could I cool the SE 6 result to the Cooltone result. I still have three bottles and wish it would come back.

Have you done gold chloride toning after the Cooltone and Moresch dev?
    Last edited by zsas; 12-21-2011 at 12:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow. I wish I'd have bought some of this before it went away. In the past I've favored cool tones but just happened to finally get on a warm tone kick for some images recently.

Anyone compare it to LPD diluted for cool tones? (Exactly dilution depends on whether you mix LPD from powder or buy the liquid, which is twice as concentrated as the stock mixed from powder.)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    These kinds of cool tone developers are quite easy to formulate using commonly avail chem. Most
    are generally either MQ or PQ tweaks a bit heavy on Q and substituting benzotriazole for KBr. Plenty of them in older literature. I cooked them up all the time for Polygrade V, which didn't respond well
    to amidol. Gold toning is really a supplementary technique, applicable to a number of paper and
    developer combinations.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Have you done gold chloride toning after the Cooltone and Moresch dev?
    Not on these prints, because I selenium-toned them. Can't do that when I gold-tone them first. I have done gold-toning before, but it is an expensive proposition, especially right now with the gold price that high up, and it does not look the same. Over the years I have used several cold-tone developers, in addition to the Moersch SE6, there were Tetenal Eukobrom, Clayton Ultra Coldtone, and Amaloco 3003. All were good developers, but Ilford Cooltone was in a league of its own. For Ilford Warmtone, I get similar results with Ansco 130, but no replacement for Cooltone.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Acroell - Sigh....of course the "best" is no longer avail!
    Andy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    All the cold devs I use have no problem with both sel and gold toning, regardless of sequence. The
    final effect is of course dependent on the specific paper/dev combination and time of dev. Gold
    chloride can be used at about a fourth the strength normally recommended for extended times if it remains warm. So in actual use it's not horribly expensive. But I did buy an extra year's worth once
    raw gold pricing started entering the stratosphere.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    I promise I will speak to the powers that be to see if they will release the IP around the product.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    Perhaps you could licence production to a company such as the Photographers Formulary.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    Perhaps you could licence production to a company such as the Photographers Formulary.
    That would be great!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too was a big fan. Been spending the last couple of weeks looking for the right print color for this current project and missing Cooltone. So it goes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin