Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,701   Online: 914

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Ilford Cool Tone Paper Developer - Thoughts?

Recently picked some of this stuff up at quite a steep discount. I've never used it, and if anything prefer warm tone paper and overall look.

But, hey...cheap is cheap. I'm curious to try it out with some Oriental FB paper I have.

Does this developer really make that big a difference, in your experience? Or, do you have any favorite uses for it? I have a few images that would specifically suit a cooler tone.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Colin:

you may not be aware that this developer has been discontinued due to slow sales - much to the disappointment of Simon Galley, who apparently was its original "champion".

I've never used it, but I do like cool tone papers (Ilford RC cooltone being one of my favourites).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes it does give cool tones. Slightly colder than Tetenal Eukobrom and very similer to Tetenal Documol. Worked well with papers like Kentmere Fineprint FB the late lamented Forte Polygrade.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is a great shame that it was discontinued because there are many options for warm tone developers and it is easy to mix your own or modify existing ones.... There is very little choice in cold tone developers. Tetenal Eukobrom is about the only thing I can get where I live.

It is said that adding Benzotriazole solution 'cools' the tone of a developer - but I believe that Ilford's 'cooltone' contained some other 'top secret' restrainer which has not been divulged, so we can not 'mix our own'
    Steve

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Just put in the fridge for half an hour before your darkroom session...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    It is a great shame that it was discontinued because there are many options for warm tone developers and it is easy to mix your own or modify existing ones.... There is very little choice in cold tone developers. Tetenal Eukobrom is about the only thing I can get where I live.

It is said that adding Benzotriazole solution 'cools' the tone of a developer - but I believe that Ilford's 'cooltone' contained some other 'top secret' restrainer which has not been divulged, so we can not 'mix our own'
    I performed some fairly extensive tests about 18 months ago when I came into possession of a litre container of the Harman cool tone developer, and agree that Harman was / is using a proprietary restrainer and possibly some other techniques to achieve the dramatic results. No amount of adding BZTS to conventional developers seems to work beyond a possible placebo effect. Perhaps older papers responded differently.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Recently picked some of this stuff up at quite a steep discount. I've never used it, and if anything prefer warm tone paper and overall look.

But, hey...cheap is cheap. I'm curious to try it out with some Oriental FB paper I have.

Does this developer really make that big a difference, in your experience? Or, do you have any favorite uses for it? I have a few images that would specifically suit a cooler tone.
    If you use this with MGWT or other warmtone paper you will get the closest imitation of a gold toned print that you are likely to come up with. Try a snowscene with MGWT. It also seems to keep forever.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Interesting stuff...I've pretty much settled on Ilford's Warmtone FB paper and Oriental FB regular papers. Looks like I'll have some experimenting to do.

I bought 2 1-litre containers, and there was one more at the store that I saw. Wouldn't it just be my luck to fall in love with this stuff...
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I really wish Ilford would bring this back. I would be a follower. There really aren't any coldtone developers available, in the US anyway. Arista and Clayton coldtone developers just don't cut it. Simon? Any chance?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used it for a while. Not quite as cool as Dektol on Multigrade IV.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin