Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,422   Online: 857

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help me recreate this look ...

Okay, so I have a negative that has some qualities that I really like. Deep midtones, with light highlights. I shot this last year about this time (winter) with the Hasselblad on either HP5 or Delta 400. Developed in either ID11 or Ilfosol (can't remember and my notes aren't that specific.

My question is, do lower midtones with adequate highlights come from a specific developing combination? For instance could I have underexposed this and lengthened the development time to keep midtones low, but only raise highlights? Is is due to the cooler temperature (here in Texas), as I usually cut my development time in the Summer/Spring, as I can only bring my temp down so much in the darkroom here mid-summer... Or is it just the lighting? It's just open shade - so I doubt that.

Here is the neg - you can see that the overall tone is dark - which is what I like - but the highlights in the skin make it very pleasing for me.

THANKS!

(excuse the streaking - I had not filled up the tank with enough liquid)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img159.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	212.6 KB 
ID:	43357
    Last edited by Katie; 12-23-2011 at 01:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Found neg - it's HP5

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi, Katie. Maybe this will help, maybe not.

My standard for handheld is Tx400@320, in PMK 75f for 10 minutes. Thirty seconds initial agitation, then 5 seconds every 30 seconds. This is for a roll shot in what I would consider "average" natural light.

If the roll is shot in bright daylight, then agitate for 8 minutes and let stand for the last two. If the light was "flat," then 10 minutes agitation with 2 minutes extra stand development.

This is not very scientific, but it does produce negs that print between g2 and g3 with very little (usually) need for burning or dodging.

In the example you provided (nice image!) perhaps it is not possible to get everything on the paper that you want to be there. My main question would be, how was the scene metered?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Handheld light meter (reflected) on shade of face. I don't care about the sky here, just an example of how I like my skin tones and midtones.

So you overxposed and overdevelop - which I understand, but you also alter your agitation based on lighting? Brilliant! So if I am Using the standard ilford agitation recommendation - how would I alter that?
    Last edited by Katie; 12-23-2011 at 01:56 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Cause I'm on an iphone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And could you humor me and explain scientifically what agitation does in the development process? I would like to understand it better...

Shooter
    35mm
    Looks to me like the result of a nice fat thick negative and some blueish light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good exposure + open shade (blue?) + slight underdeveopment + more agitation = deeper midtones with nice highlight separation in skin ??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm betting on the lighting.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Good exposure + open shade (blue?) + slight underdeveopment + more agitation = deeper midtones with nice highlight separation in skin ??
    +

Having two white RVs acting as giant reflectors to people in the shade?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Developed in either ID11 or Ilfosol (can't remember and my notes aren't that specific.
    It's amazing how easy it is to have a "look" and then lose it because you didn't keep notes. Some of my favorite film and digital "developments" are lost for this very reason.

I now write every film's processing notes on the back of the contact sheets.

In terms of flat lighting or open shade a good exposure and slight overdevelopment will make the print glow, as if the light were coming from inside the print rather than from a light source in the photo (sun, lamp, etc). Think of some of Ansel Adams snow scenes, shot in that flat gray winter light. They radiate light from the print.

Avedon's "American West" portraits were shot in open shade, and processed this way. It can be stunning.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Katie, my advice would be forget about experimenting with film/developer combinations and stick to one combination you are happy with. The problem with this image is focus.
    Advice from the old dog.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin