Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,668   Posts: 1,481,749   Online: 875

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Best Plastic for Chemical Storage

I recently discovered that some of my bottles were "Type 7" plastic, not suitable for storage. Everything that went in them went bad: Dektol, Fixer, it all turned brown. I finally caught a clue and dumped them in the trash.

My wife was throwing away one of those large, liquid laundry detergent containers which is "Type 2" high density. Is this what the big 5 gallon bulk storage/floating lid containers are made of? Is this okay for fixer, developer, all of it, none of it?

BTW: I did search the archive first!
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    35mm
    High Density Polyethylene, or HDPE, is a fine choice for developer, fixer, etc. Most fixer and developer solutions will go bad eventually, regardless of container. Be careful with the type 7 containers. Some might react with photo solutions and fail prematurely.

Best,
    J

Shooter
    35mm
    I use soda ottles marked PETE. They have worked very well.

Howard Dvorin

Shooter
    35mm
    OOPS-You all know that I meant BOTTLES and not ottles.

H

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    PET bottles (soda) bottles has about one tenth the oxygen permeability for a given thickness compared to HDPE. If you are going with plastic, PET is the way to go. Here is a chart showing permeability: http://www.faybutler.com/pdf_files/H...AffectGas3.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Fiji Water bottles. They are square shaped and hold 500ml, also 250ml water bottles. Larger bottles are Jobo 1000ml, 1500ml, 2000ml and 2500ml sizes.I also have a set of Jobo 600ml bottles for color chems.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    PET bottles (soda) bottles has about one tenth the oxygen permeability for a given thickness compared to HDPE. If you are going with plastic, PET is the way to go. Here is a chart showing permeability: http://www.faybutler.com/pdf_files/H...AffectGas3.pdf
    This is the key. The problem with plastic is that the chemistry inside sucks oxygen right through the plastic. Glass pays for itself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    BTW - yes all the commercial bottles sold for darkroom work seem to be HDPE. It makes zero sense to me. The accordion bottles are even worse (thin at the corners, trap bubbles, made from HDPE), I use glass bottles that I bought from SKS bottles. They are great and my chemicals last a long time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well Dektol and D76 shows no visible signs of oxidation or loss of activity stored in 2 and 4 liter PET bottles for over 12 months. RA4 prints processed in Kodak RA4 developer stored for ten months in PET and from mixed yesterday show no differences. I'd say the 2 liter generic soda bottles hold their own fairly well.
    Bob

I bought $200 in brown glass bottles with nylon cone insert caps. Never have a problem. Clear glass works fine if you store in the dark or in a box. It is debatable if dark is really necessary, but I never tried myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin