Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,074   Online: 1007

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

So let's talk fixers...

So I'm nearly out of TF-5 and I bought some WD2D pyro to play with.

The instruction sheet says any commercial fixer will work but specifically lists TF4 as an example.

I've also been thinking of using one fix, like C-41 fix, for everything.

So I started doing a bit of digging and found this http://stores.photoformulary.com/-st...Fix/Detail.bok at Formulary's site.

So has anybody had any experience with Art Fix?

Is there any worry with TF5 and WD2D pyro?

Is TF4 a better choice?

What about the two step paper fix, say Art Fix and Plain Hypo or one of the TFs twice versus a strong quick one step fix?

Signed, Confused
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    By the way, with regard to B&W materiels, I'm using RC paper, no fiber base papers, and both the Deltas and traditional Ilford films.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TF-5 and C41 fix have similar properties in that where one works the other should. The main difference is that TF-5 is designed for B&W films and papers specifically. TF-5 is about the same pH as C41 fix while TF-4 is much more alkaline. Otherwise, again they are similar.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mark, the conventional wisdom is that staining developers will give maximum imagewise stain if the process is kept alkaline all the way through (hence the recommendations to use an alkaline fix such as TF4). The general idea was that an acid fix, such as most conventional rapid and regular fixers, reduces the amount of stain. However my understanding it this has never been "proven". It is also my understanding that this effect, if it exists, depends on the developer, and that Wimberley's WD2D pyro developers are supposed to achieve maximum imagewise stain at the development stage, with the stain not being subject to change thereafter regardless of the type of fixer or wash. Further, TF5 is essentially a neutral fix, not acidic. So I think you'd be fine using TF4, TF5, or even a standard rapid fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thank you gents, happy holiday too.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin