Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,775   Online: 785

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

What's the most current version of Rodinal?

I've been told that one can still get Rodinal, but it always seems to be in a different bottle, sold by a different company, or sold under a different name all the time.

The last time I bought it it came in a milky plastic bottle and was still called Agfa Rodinal. If I want to get the same thing today, what do I have to buy?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe Adox Adonal is what you are after. It is currently available from Freestyle Photographic Supplies here.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I believe that all the versions of rodinal are the same, be it adona or ro9, still made by Agfa and sold to the other companies in bulk and they re sell it under their own brand name.
    Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    > still made by Agfa and sold to the other companies

No. After WWII the Rodinal formula was published. Many companys produced Rodinal under different names. The Adox R09 comes from the chemical plant in Calbe which produced a Rodinal type developer for ORWO in the GDR. ORWA was the successor of the original "Agfa Wolfen" film factory.
    Agfa Leverkusen got the rights of all Agfa brands in 1965. It produced Rodinal until 2005 using the Rodinal brand. The formula was slightly changed in the course of years. I don't know whether any institution has the right to produce Rodinal using this name. But the recipe is well known and some companies offer an identic developer.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Gould View Post
    I believe that all the versions of rodinal are the same, be it adona or ro9, still made by Agfa and sold to the other companies in bulk and they re sell it under their own brand name.
    Richard
    Not quite. It can be very confusing.

WWII split Germany and the Original Agfa plants were around Wolfen Germany. The WWII formual was made and sold in the Soviet satellite area, often as R09. The East german Chemical plant is alive as Calbe.

Agfa reopened in the west and changed the formula slightly over the years. They sold there Consumer photo business to a Start up called "Agfa-Photo" including the rights to make and sell the "western" Rodinal. Agfa Photo reorgainized and much of the business was worth more for the real-estate than the photo business. In the process we lost APX series films. and the chemicals were sold to an outfit called A&O imaging, who was more interested in the Mini-lab part of the business.

The factory which made (Makes) rodinal is now owned by a contract Chmical maker. They will make almost any chemical you want. They don't have the right to call the Rodinal they make Rodinal or use the agfa or Agfa Photo name.

SO whoever orders a batch has to provide a name. Confusingly some use the R09 Name. Some also sell the east version as "original Rodinol Formula" (true since it is the older version from before WWII)

I think here in Canada the official name is Blazinal I am not sure as I am still using some A&O bottles, as I only use Rodinal for some films.

The way that may help is that the eastern stuff often was mixed 1 to 40 with Water, while the western stuff is generaly mixed 1 to 50. if the product you are looking at mentions 1+40 it is probably the eastern product. Calbe is in the unified germany so it also can say "Made in germany" and I think that Foma may make the R09 version as well.

Looking at Freestyles page the
    The adolux APH 09 seems to be the eastern (since 1918) version.
    Compard R09 one shot is Claiming to be the western version ! ("This is not an imitation or previous/older Rodinal formulation.")
    The Fomadon R09 is probaly the eastern version .
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You had me all the way to the last sentence, then I read:

Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    ....The Fomadon R09 is probaly the eastern version .
    And thought did he mean "....probably the western version"....???
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So......what's the available product today that's closest to what we, in the west, used in the 70's, 80's, 90's ????

I bought a case of the last Agfa Rodinal before that named product disappeared from history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It looks to me like Adox Adonal and Compard R09 are the current Rodinal versions according to the Freestyle website.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/12054-...ula?cat_id=301

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/9725-C...oz.?cat_id=301

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Foma R09 was the "eastern" version in the past, the current stuff is the "western" version.

My understanding is that the "eastern" version is used at dilutions 1:40 and 1:80, where as the "western" version is used at dilutions 1:25, 1:50 and 1:100

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've been using Adox Adonal exactly as I used Rodinal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin