Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,553   Online: 781

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Read for yourself:

http://www.venik4.com/2011/01/kodak-...tent-trolling/

"It turned out that if you wanted to survive in the digital photography era, you needed to grow beyond film, and paper, and CCDs, and Flash drives, and printers. Kodak needed to stop being a chemical company and become an electronics company. The timid steps Kodak made in that direction with itís Nikon-based DSLR and the acquisition of Chinon Industries were not followed up with more determined actions."

"Over the years Kodak designed a range of advanced DSLRs based on Nikon 35-mm cameras, culminating in 2002 with the 14-megapixel DCS-14n Ė an excellent and relatively inexpensive ($5,000 vs Canonís EOS-1D at $8,000) professional DSLR based on the Nikon F80. And this is where Kodak screwed up once again: it made an executive assumption that the rest of us non-professional photographers couldnít possibly be interested in an inexpensive DSLR. Canon and Nikon thought otherwise."
    Oh I wasn't arguing with you.
    What I meant was the 14n/c had promise but was an ultimate failure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't even seen a kodak 14n in australia. Pity, I probably would have been quite interested in one. I've only seen them on ebay.

Shooter
    35mm
    Some of the Stranger chemicals are basilica made to order anyway, and need the same sort of Infrastructure that Drug manufacture needs.
    "Basilica"? You meant Basically, right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
    I haven't even seen a kodak 14n in australia. Pity, I probably would have been quite interested in one. I've only seen them on ebay.
    The sensor was quite good but the implementation was lacking.
    I'll stop now

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some day a thread will read: Kodak is gone. I can't believe it!

One day I was out hiking and climbing, happily shooting Kodak Panatomic-X, developing it in Agfa Rodinal, using the "new" Oriental Seagull paper like Ansel was using and the days were long and all was right with the world. Then I woke up one day recently and it realized it was all gone, only a dream, a memory of what was and now isn't. Being sixty some how isn't as fun, nice, comfortable as it was when I was much younger. To my son analog is just a word, he's in a twenty first century digital world and quite happy there. Maybe one day he will wake up and miss the keyboard and mouse like I remember film and paper.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hey, Curt! I took my three 14 year olds up to the darkroom and they all made some prints (my 6x6 negatives).

Now to get the film cameras in their hands!

vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I've found some pretty wildly mixed reports about that 14n slr. Still in its day Im sure there were more sales to be made from it if it was implemented properly and sold properly.

I really do hope we won't be reading 'kodak is gone'. I use their portra films and I personally think those are some of the best colour print films around. I want them to stay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Hey, Curt! I took my three 14 year olds up to the darkroom and they all made some prints (my 6x6 negatives).

vaughn
    I'm being careful with those kinds of ideas. Just opened a fortune cookie. Look at what it said:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FEAR.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post

vaughn
    Hey Vaughn, when my son was in high school he had a darkroom oriented teacher. He was excited so I taught him to develop and print. We took him to Paris so he could take photos for his senior project. In our state it's a requirement. I never had such in the way back.

We went, he did, they were very nice, his mentor, a non parent, was a hospital biomed photographer, he got an A. So I bought him a complete 4x5 "kit", camera, lens, wood tripod, holders, the works. Well time went on and "things" came up. The photo class shifted to the second half which was """"""PHOTOSHOP"""""". End of analog.

He's majoring in computer science, networking. He was considering medical school but when my doctor told me to tell him just go to work for Microsoft I guess he took it to heart.

Another of my doctors who is Chinese had parents who had their own photo studio and spent their lives in darkroom photography. Put their son through medical school. His photos on the walls of his office are stunning.

I recognized some scenes of Italy and got into a conversation with him. I told him I did darkroom work and asked what camera he used for traveling. He said a digital Leica.

I seem to be getting it from all directions. I feel that if only one person I talk to takes up 'real' photography then I've done my ambassador work.

Btw: going to Oceano in Feb.?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Oh I wasn't arguing with you.
    What I meant was the 14n/c had promise but was an ultimate failure.
    We cool bro'. :-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin