Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,188   Online: 960

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

My first scanned/printed picture

Hi all,

I was unsure of where to put this topic, but hope this is the right place on the forum.

Just got one of my very first shot with an analog camera (bronica gs-1) scanned and printed, mostly out of curiosity of how it looked like. I have developed the film myself in ID-11 stock.

What I noticed in the scan at full size (TIFF) was that it had alot of dust and a few scratches. Is this normal? It was dried in my bathroom.
    Scratches I wonder is because of the cleaning equipment(Paterson filmdryer).

You can have a look at the picture here: http://500px.com/photo/3979947

Br
    Kim "new to analog photography"

Shooter
    35mm
    Congrats!
    Looks very nice!
    What scanner did you use?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was in so a hurry when i picked up the scanned and printed picture that I did not ask what scanner the shop uses, so I am afraid I can not answer your question.

Would love some feedback concerning my questions though. It might be all scanner and handling related.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Kim that picture is fantastic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very nice shot =)

Scratches can occur if you use a squeegee to remove water from the film, or when loading the film on the reel. (randomized scratches)
    Scratches may also occur inside the camera (usually straight looking scratches).

I do my best to avoid dust during drying.
    The method I use, is to run the water in the shower for 2-3 minutes to create steam. I usually put on the water when I start rinsing the film in the other room.
    Then i dry the floor and put an oven inside the shower cabinet. (make damn sure the floor is dry before you do that!).
    Then I hang the film inside the shower cabinet, along with the oven on low power (hot enough to dry the film quicker, but not so hot that it will damage the film).

- I've found that the quicker you can dry the film, the less time dust has the opportunity to settle on the film.

Once the film is dry, I cut them into 5-6 frame strips and put them into plastic sleeves, protecting them against dust as quickly as possible.

I always blow the negatives with canned air before scanning/printing, to remove any dust that may have settled while handling them.

Oh, and always use filtered water (buy a jug with a replaceable water filter, meant to purify water before drinking). Removing metals and grit from the water really helps avoiding specks that may even be embedded into the emulsion when it's wet.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find it difficult to produce a perfectly clean scan from a neg. You should print the neg on paper (in a darkroom with chems) to see how clean the neg is.
    You also didn't scan yourself, so maybe the shop wasn't thorough about cleaning the neg. I worked on some images once that had been scanned for someone in a shop - I couldn't believe how dirty they were. Much of my time was spent spotting.

Nice image, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If scanning will be your preferred workflow, then let me suggest using a staining a.k.a. pyro developer, such as wd2d+.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks great!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great image! The vertical 'scratch' though looks more like a photoflo / drying stain mark to me. Try rewashing the neg and see if it goes away.
    ---
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    ~ Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yea,noticed the vertical line.wondered what it was, will try rewash it my main worflow will be printing in my own darkroom when i manage to clean my cellar and buy an enlarger.

Thanks for the nice feedback concerning the picture. I see that it will look better if i cut it just above the trees, makes a whole new mood and feeling.

Br
    Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin