Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,284   Online: 1107

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Cleaning working solution fixer bottle!

The title says all, what's the best way to clean a working solution fixer bottle. Just wash with water, rinser several times, or should one use something to disolve the silver and/or the other cheamical residue?
    Since it is to be used again, do one must wash/clean before the new solution is stored?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I few dumps of very hot water always works for me. It also helps to just fill the bottle a bit, maybe 1/4 or 1/8 then cap and shake hard. If its a plastic bottle a bit of squeezing on the sides may crack and loosen up material build up. Or maybe even drop in a marble, or some steel bearings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've found after a while the deposits get thick enough it starts to flake. A good handful of fish gravel in some hot water and spend some time shaking it vigorously will reduce the amount of loose stuff stuck to the insides.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks. I forgot to say that it's a folding bottle, the correct term is faling me!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    Thanks. I forgot to say that it's a folding bottle, the correct term is faling me!
    Accordion bottle, most likely.

Most here will recommend against these bottles, because they are almost impossible to clean properly, and because they are HDPE and leak air (which negates the expected advantage of an accordion bottle).

My advice - don't bother cleaning - replace with a PET bottle (empty, cleaned soda/pop bottles work well).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I kind of agree with the others, but for the sake of being comprehensive, I suspect that a dichromate/acid bleach would clean it right up.

1% concentrated sulfuric acid (add acid to water, never water to acid)
    1% potassium dichromate
    distilled water

Probably overkill though..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    I kind of agree with the others, but for the sake of being comprehensive, I suspect that a dichromate/acid 1% concentrated sulfuric acid (add acid to water, never water to acid)
    1% potassium dichromate
    distilled water

Probably overkill though..
    You will just be substituting deposits, thats how the bleach works.

Just use some house hold ammonia. If it is too far gone, pitch it. It's only a bottle....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could you elaborate? I have no problem being mistaken, but would like to understand exactly why.

That formula is a glass cleaner, and also a bleach/solvent for metallic silver in reversal processing. Maybe the problem is that this isn't metallic silver in the bottle, but silver halide?

thnx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience with old fixer bottles is the deposits are usually sulfur compounds that are darn near insoluable. Needs to be scraped off most times.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's an accordion bottle then toss it in the trash bin where it belongs. Two liter soda bottles work just fine, and when it's dirty you toss it and replace with another.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin