Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,737   Online: 759

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

quick and dirty time/development conversion from hp5+ to Tri-x 400

I need a quick and dirty conversion for my dialed in and tested EI and developing times for HP5 to Tri-x, which I haven;t shot in 30 years. I'm only testing leaky roll film backs, so this doesn't have to be perfect, just close enough to get in the ballpark with exposure and development in the off chance I get a good shot I want to print. I shoot Hp5 at 200 usually, and develop in HC-110 (don't know the dilution, but doesn't matter) for 8.25 minutes. So I'm just looking for a suggestion for EI and developing time given what I use, should I increase or decrease x percent, or will my normal EI and developing time be close enough?

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I find Tri-x to be slightly slower in speed and need less development time than HP5.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    What I meant is the specific dilution I use (which is written down, but not in memory) shouldn't matter, as I'm going to use it as always. I just need a guess as to how much more/less time Tri-X will need.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    I find Tri-x to be slightly slower in speed and need less development time than HP5.

Ok, so maybe -10%?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Ok, so maybe -10%?
    My normal time for HP5 in ID-11 1:1 is 13 minutes. My normal time for Tri-x is 10. So that's 30% more for HP5.

My fear with your HC-110 dilution is that your development times may get too short with Tri-x. You're gonna have to start somewhere. Maybe shoot a roll of Tri-x that doesn't matter in your usual lighting and develop for 7 minutes?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've got everything I need to know now-thanks.

My standard time for Tri-X, EI 200, in HC-110 B was 5 minutes at 68 degrees with gentle agitation. 30 seconds continuous agitation followed by 2 inversions each 30 seconds thereafter.

Peter Gomena

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin