Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,430   Online: 1011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Processing old verichrome....

I have an old roll of 620 Verichrome on a wooden spool. Kodak( as of 2002) says d-76 1:1, 68~ 9 mins
    factoring in age of film.... what do you think ? x2 development time... Different developer?
    Thanks for your opinion

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG (or at least to the posting ranks ).

I always find it interesting when someone who has been around APUG for 6+ years makes their first post.

HC-110 is very good for old film because it creates relatively low levels of fog.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I developed two rolls of Verichrome Pan from the 1960s that were still in some old cameras I purchased. My procedure was as follows:

HC-110 dilution D (12 ml syrup + 480 ml water)
    64F degrees
    9 minutes in small stainless tank, 2 inversions per minute.

The results were pretty good, all things considered. I'd post them but I don't have scans yet.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you.
    I guess this is my first post, I generally search and find answers to my questions. Rarely do I see a question without a good answer( that I could answer) that hasn't been answered.
    I'll do a clip test on the roll and see what I get , This roll looks really old, 3aBrownie old....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What's that place it you think? Don't know my Brownie 3a timeframe. Welcome to the posting world!
    Andy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    verichrome safety film, 1931 to '56 according to wikipepia... hopefully its verichrome pan 1956-'95

Shooter
    35mm RF
    On a wood spool, it would definitely be Verichrome, not Verichrome Pan. Dark red backing paper, right?

The official time was 17 minutes in D-76. Yeah, no kidding. But with old fogged film, that's going to get you a black negative. But, a good chunk longer than the Verichrome Pan times in HC-110 would be in order, say 7 to 8 minutes at dilution B at 68 degrees F.

If you have a red safelight, you can watch. Stop the development before it's all black, that's for sure.

Verichrome appears to be much more subject to age fogging than Verichrome Pan.

Also, fix it a long time. Say 10 minutes. These films fix much slower than modern thin emulsion films.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes dark red black paper.... red safe light and from a distance too ,cool i'll try it
    Dlut b makes sence... Thanks!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    After 2 snip test, from the core, all I have is a slightly foggy base. I did a 15 min pre soak (to soften emulsion distilled h 2 0) hc110 B ,64 degrees 8 mins. The first one I inspected at 3, 5 , 8, 10 mins -nothing. The next one I did the same without inspecting. Maybe the pre-soak is not needed? move to dlut. H 15 mins 64 degrees? anyone have an educated guess?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    and I see Jcoldslab's suggestion.... I'll snip process that one dlut D 64, 9 mins, still less than 6 inches in. report to follow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin