Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,643   Online: 681

Shooter
    Medium Format

ADOX MCC + Dektol = greenish cast ?

Dear all,

Does Dektol give a greenish cast to ADOX MCC ?

I am about to order a couple of packs of MCC-paper. I spotted a post on the internet warning to use Dektol with MCC since it caused an ugly greenish cast. I have tried to verify this by searching this, and other forums, for a clear answer, but has just found contradictory suggestions.

The MCC-spec sheet suggest to use Neutol or Neutol WA. Does Neutol give a neutral tone to MCC, as it is supposed to do? It this a good choice to replace Dektol?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used it in Dektol 1:3 and there was no green cast. It was quite neutral. Very nice paper. Never tried it in any other developers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many people find a slight greenish cast with most neutral papers developed in Dektol, although it varies with the paper. It is one of the reasons so many people give their prints a mild Selenium toning, which neutralizes the greenish cast on most papers, among other favourable effects. If you want slightly more neutral and/or colder tones without any toning, there are other developers you might like more than Dektol. Some people use LPD, and there are a host of others I have not used but others may be able to give you their impressions. I still use standard Dektol 1+2, always have.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use Dektol in 1:2 and also do not have a green cast.
    -Brian R. Beck

Shooter
    Large Format
    Most black-and-white enlarging papers produce a slightly greenish cast upon development. It doesn’t seem dependent upon the particular developer used. It varies from one paper to another and is more noticeable when viewing the print in some light sources than others. Due to differences in our color perception some people see the green cast more than others.

Most papers loose their greenish cast given a modest toning in selenium or other toners. Even cold tone papers that don’t significantly change color can loose the slight greenish cast in selenium even though no other color change is seen.

The green cast is often unnoticed until two otherwise identical prints—one untoned and the other toned—are displayed side by side. Then the greenish cast of the untoned print is noticeable. This is one of the reasons that printers favor at least some toning. It eliminates the objectionable green color.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
    The green cast is often unnoticed until two otherwise identical prints—one untoned and the other toned—are displayed side by side. Then the greenish cast of the untoned print is noticeable. This is one of the reasons that printers favor at least some toning. It eliminates the objectionable green color.
    Indeed. Just to bring the point home, the green-ish cast becomes quite noticeable under strong light while selenium toning. In fact, if the goal is to neutralize the cast without noticeable color shift, rather than tone for maximum archival stability, one watches for the change by having untoned prints nearby (perhaps in a water bath, waiting their turn), which will suddenly exhibit an obvious green-ish-ness. The toned print must be withdrawn quickly either at the point of, or slightly before, "noticeable" shift. Selenium toner may normally be re-used but the times at which prints should be pulled will increase as oxidation and depletion occurs.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Just depends what you mean by greenish. I am one of those folks who is very very conscious of
    image tone. MCC in my opinion will not ever produce a true cold tone, even with gold toner. It
    is always a tad off, and dektol even with selenium will not totally eradicate this tendency. So it just
    depends on your expectations, and what other paper/dev you are comparing it to. This is not meant
    to discourage its use. It's a wonderful paper. And dektol can be used very eloquently too. But it
    might not be the appropriate paper for just every image, especially if you don't want any warm or
    off-black cast at all.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    IIIRC the AGFA MCC product had a greenish cast. The ADOX product is the same receipe , just on a very white base. Very slight toning selenium toning will shift the color to neutral.

Joe
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin