Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,221   Online: 1061

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

measurements, new and old

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001660.html

i know some use old arcane developers &c,
    just in case you need to know how to convert
    or what exactly 26 grains of xyz compounded into
    37 drams of abc, mixed under subdue light
    with 320 minims of mno,

if you need a conversion calculator this might help too
    http://www.easysurf.cc/cnver8.htm

just be careful with the firkin, and good luck!

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for posting this. I bookmarked the links.

Mark Overton

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Last year I had to record a gas flow setting of 2 cm/sec in a gas chromatograph SOP, so I converted it to units of furlongs/fortnight and slipped that into the SOP. My peer level reviewer caught it and agreed to let it go, but no one else that reviewed the document mentioned it...
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Last year I had to record a gas flow setting of 2 cm/sec in a gas chromatograph SOP, so I converted it to units of furlongs/fortnight and slipped that into the SOP. My peer level reviewer caught it and agreed to let it go, but no one else that reviewed the document mentioned it...
    thanks kirk

- john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Darlkroom cookbook, 2. ed. has tables on this from page 265 onwards, just punch the numbers into any 4-banger calculator.....

More importantly it has a very important table at page 275 : Teaspoon conversions, solving the riddle a certain blogger has been struggling with......
    Anyone familiar with homeloading ammo will know that volumetric measures, like teaspoons and such is more than accurate enough to measure out very small amounts of powder.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Teaspoons are only more accurate when you have a material that is very tightly controlled as far as particle size and bulk density goes. With the wide range of crystals, powders, and other things that photographers have to measure, it's certainly not as accurate as even a cheap, modern scale can be.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kitchen spoons vary in size and shape according to manufacturer. Kitchen measuring spoons are far better, but as Kirk says you should not use volume to measure out solids.

BTW, I have a complete set of the old Apotehcary liquid measuring graduates. Heavy thick glass things with the smallest about the size of your thumb and the largest nearly as long as your forearm.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Over in EU there are of STANDARDS for these things, kitchen measures come in sets,
    1 tsp = 5ml
    1 tblsp = 15 ml
    and one smaller which I call a pinch = 1ml

I have tested several og these kits, steel, plastic and from various sources, IKEA has a plastic kit that can be found in most of the "civilized world", they are all surpricingly accurate, and MORE than good enough for mixing Kaffenol...........

Other than that I'm a convined gram/ml guy and only offered this conversion table for those that wanna go from the mysterious US recipes to metric.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Frequent appearance on many packaged dry goods: "Notice: Contents packed by weight, not volume. Some settling may occur."

I think that says it all.
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you know that the west was won by 1000's of guys handloading 1000 000's of rounds on their kitchen bench using nothing but volumetric measures.
    These guys did not have the money to buy fancy smchmancy weights, but they had to survive! Don't tell me it doesn't work I have 30 years experience proving that, all powder measures ever sold are volumetric devices, nearly all pistol ammo handloads assembled in the entire world are measured by volumetric methods, in USA alone we have around 8 million handloaders......

All that said, you misses the point, I think the table mentioned in the DARKROOM COOKBOOK vol 2 p. 175 can be valuable information to translate all the strange US recipes for Kaffenol, teaspoons and all that, into scientific measures, that was what I was after first and foremost.

The IKEA measures mentioned BTW, reflects US standards as far as these things goes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin