Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,078   Online: 792

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah, but now that you have said that, your next roll WILL be scratched.

Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    I usually use method 2 mainly because I mislaid the special tool I had for opening these crimped cassettes. But I hate them and they aren't very environmentally friendly (correction they aren't environmentally friendly at all). I liked the cartridges with the removeable caps as they could be reloaded.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

#1 and #1a

For commercially-loaded film, I've always used method 1 - pop the end cap off with a bottle opener. Ya never know what the light trap might pick up while roaming aound in the bottom of the camera bag. For what I bulk load myself, one end of the plastic cassette simply unscrews. Those cassettes get their light traps cleaned with tape prior to reloading.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Humph...you'd think that, by now, they'd make a Non Scratching Film Canister Taker Outer Tank Spool Loader Thingee...

Did anyone check Ebay??? I'll bet Amvona's got one.
    Fixer scented Glade; for those that just can't leave the darkroom.

Images
    Good Evening,

Didn't someone (Leica?) once make a special cassette which did away with the felt light trap?

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you all for your answers. My camera can rewind the film so the leader is left out of the canister, so I may try nr. 2 again.

Morten

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I now use method 2 as it makes it easier to load film in my change bag (my darkroom being more of a very dim room) but i have noticed scratches on some of my recent films. Don't know if it's the camera or method 2. I'm devving a film tonite so i will try method 1 and see how i go.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by garryl
    But you can always roll the film up and put in the developer tank with the lid on as it also is light tight. But to each his own way that works!
    D'oh! That is so obvious I'm kicking myself!

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

cao
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by garryl
    But you can always roll the film up and put in the developer tank with the lid on as it also is light tight. But to each his own way that works!
    Be sure the tank is bone dry then. While I take a hairdryer to my spools before loading, the tank is often humid unless it's been a while since I've run a film.

cao
    Shooter
    35mm
    I pop factory loads with a two sided bottle opener. I also tend to fold and tear off the tail of the film as well. I've had some films come out with adhesive residue which shows as an unfixed pink blotch of goop on TMax films. I'm very leery about sharp objects in my dark bag lest I puncture or cut the fabric by mistake, so I have no scissors, and the sharp end of the bottle opener is blunted with a chunk of rubber tube.

As far as identifying used cassettes, I bend the leader back on itself to show the film as exposed. There's often little time when shooting an event to trim the leader nicely.

Has anyone found a better tape as far as adhesive residue than vinyl electrical tape for sticking film to spools when bulk loading?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin