Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,492   Posts: 1,542,972   Online: 891

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    [QUOTE=cao]I pop factory loads with a two sided bottle opener. QUOTE]

Funny thing- so do I. Course the factory loads I talking about come from the Miller factory.
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's how I do it, though I don't think it is really either method 1 or 2. My camera doesn't leave the leader out, and I found that using a can opener damamged my canisters. So, while in the dark I hold the canister in one hand and push the protruding end onto the table. This pushes the back end off my canister easily. I then reach in and turn the spool in the "rewind" direction slightly to make sure none of the film is in the light trap. Then I just pull the film out. I've been doing it this way for about 7 years, and I think the reason I started really was that I forgot my can opener one time!

For tape, I use that blue painters masking tape exclusively. I actually usually leave it on the spool for multiple uses to be honest. It is quite a bit more expensive than regular masking tape, but it doesn't leave residue and it can last a long long time. I always make sure the tape goes from the end of the film, onto the spool, then back onto the film again just in case. This method hasn't failed me yet. (knock on wood)

David

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by cao
    Has anyone found a better tape as far as adhesive residue than vinyl electrical tape for sticking film to spools when bulk loading?
    I use Scotch Magic Tape with no problems. I've tried cheaper brands of adhesive tape before and I had sticky residues result.

It's the frosted one (green packaging here). Don't get the tape that's meant for graphics work—it's less tacky and you run the risk of the film coming off (blue packaging here). Also, I don't use the clear one as I usually mess it up and it bunches up in one sticky ball (red packaging here).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Has anyone found a better tape as far as adhesive residue than vinyl electrical tape for sticking film to spools when bulk loading?
    Whut?!?! Vinyl electrical tape?? First time I've heard of using that. I imagine it would leave a lot of gooey adhesive, and not be very strong or stable (stretchy).

I've used plain Scotch tape from day 1, with no problems.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use masking tape to hold the film into the spool, that's the way I was taught years ago and have been teaching others the same way. It has worked well for me for a number of years now.
    Brian McDowell

cao
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    Whut?!?! Vinyl electrical tape?? First time I've heard of using that.
    I suppose there's a first time for everything.

While I've never had a premature detachment, I have seen goop on two rolls. In the second case, it was on the tail, but the first time I saw goop, it was on a frame. When I had photo class, the film was attached to bulk spools with vinyl tape, but the kids would cut the spool off rather than untaping it. I have a winding ritual which avoids fogging the tail, so I tend not to cut off the spool, but peel off the tape.

The painter's masking tape sounds interesting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=garryl]
    I pop factory loads with a two sided bottle opener. QUOTE]

Funny thing- so do I. Course the factory loads I talking about come from the Miller factory.
    Miller...I do not know that brand of film....DOH

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hmm ... taking the film out of the casette ... Has anyone tried an acetylene torch?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=garryl]
    I pop factory loads with a two sided bottle opener. QUOTE]

Mmmmmm Beer!
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Method one.
    Use a pocket swiss army knife with its can opener blade.
    sergio caetano

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin