Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,463   Online: 858

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Netrual tone liquid paper develper suggestions

I am looking to switch paper developers. I am not happy with the Sprint developer I have been using for the last year. I prefer neutral tones and the solution must keep for a while because my darkroom in 30 miles from my house. I am currently looking at either Adox Adotol NE or Moersch ECO 4812. What can you tell me about these developers. I am currently using Kodak Polycontrast but I will soon be switching to Adox MCP 310 and eventually Adox MCC 110 for more serious printing. Any suggestions.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have bought a new developer called LPD, after reading a bit about it, and the reviews are very good. After I finish my last bottle of stock dektol I will mix the batch and try. But I cannot comment on it as of yet.

check this link:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5...developer.html

By varying the dilutions you can alter the tone too. You can do the same with Dektol, but it seems with LPD you can go to super high dilutions 1:20 even. They sell it in a liquid concentrate form. I have bought the can version from B&H locally $11.49 in store. And its supposed to last forever.

Maybe more Apugers will chime in on that. I am looking forward to using it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ilford Multigrade developer is very neutral and has great keeping qualities. I don't know how available it is in the U.S.

I suspect that it may not be easily obtainable as there are many U.S APUGers who are loyal to Ilford but very few who seem to use Ilford paper developers

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use and like Kodak Polymax-T developer: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...?pq-path=14046

Liquidol has a pretty good pedigree : http://stores.photoformulary.com/-st...per/Detail.bok
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    why not make your own?
    Attached Files
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about ECO 4812? Brewed by one of the finest brewers and excellent keeping properties.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    LPD is a good one to try.

The tone can be adjusted by varying the dilution,;straight leans cold, 1+4 leans warm, and you can use whatever dilution gives you what you want.

I keep my stock in a recycled wine box, keep the diluted solution in a nondescript 1-liter plastic bottle. I have another bottle for working solution.

I replenish the working solution by simply topping up to replace what's lost with each sheet, which even at 1+4 seems to be more than adequate.

It is like the Energizer bunny it just keeps going and going and going too. The only reason I've replaced my working solutions in the last few years has been because of my stupid mistakes and contamination coming fron the tray/paper; the developer itself never seems to die.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What is the tray life of ECO 4812? Also, I've been wondering, can one just pour the used developer into a bottle and use it within a few days or is one day only? I would like to mix my own chemicals but I am not at that point yet.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Liquidol is a neutral to cold, high capacity dev that I believe ships free from Amazon (from Formulary) and was co-created by Apug's very own Photo Engineer.

It is considered a Dektol clone but with different secret formulation though.

I use it and love it; although I have not used with the aforementioned papers you list
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Image tone is determined not only by the developer but by the paper. It is impossible to make a developer that will produce the same tone with all papers.

You can change the tone a bit by adding either potassium bromide or benzotrriazole to the developer. Bromide will make it warmer and benzotriazole will make it colder. Try adding small amounts of a 10% solution of KBr or a 1% solution of benzotriazole. Start with 2.5 ml per liter of working developer.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin