Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,475   Posts: 1,542,616   Online: 997

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree. I have the fourth edition from 1981.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    ... I attended a workshop with Jim Galli and Per Volquartz and a bunch of great guys a few years back ...
    Great story.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think this is relevant to the discussion here.

I have one of those fragments of memory that has stuck with me. It was an article about using the Zone System, and was related by someone who had run a workshop with a number of relatively inexperienced LF photographers.

Apparently, at the end of a day of shooting, they all developed their negatives and then got together to have them evaluated. The workshop instructor noted a common and consistent problem - while everybody seemed to have a good technical understanding of the Zone System principles, in a large number of cases the areas of the scene chosen by the students to base their exposure choices on were either too dark, or too light, or both.

In other words, they gauged very deep shadows as being "important shadow areas showing substance and detail" and very bright highlights as being "important highlight areas showing substance and detail", and they were adjusting their development to contract almost everything.

The problem wasn't with the theory, it was with training the perception.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The problem wasn't with the theory, it was with training the perception.
    I agree, having a good technical understanding of ZS principles doesn't always translate to a visualization that satisfies the intended final aesthetic.....speaking from experience, of course. Often it can turn out that a different visualization is needed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree that over visualization/idealization can be a problem, but I also think the solution is easy; printing and practice.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin