Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,324   Online: 868

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries

Wanted Grey Scale for densitometer calibration

I am looking for a transparent calibration grey scale to calibrate a densitometer

Alternatively, a dark piece of film about zone IX with an accurate density reading so I can set up my Eselite densitometer to check on zone VIII to aid keeping my deep tank of D76d in good working order

Since 1985 I have done this by guestimation, but now I have a densitometer I want to do it properly

Please PM

John

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Still wanted - Even a sheet of evenly exposed zone XI ish with accurate density reading

John

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    bump

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let me look around I may have an old one.
    Kodachrome was invented in the early 1930s by two professional musicians, Leopold Godowsky, Jr. and Leopold Mannes; hence the comment that "Kodachrome was made by God and Man".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used cutup pieces of gelatin neutral density filters for calibration. Probably some film base vs. filter reason this may not be 100% accurate. But my spot metering isn't either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I could certainly expose, process and measure a sheet of 4x5, but hopefully someone closer to you will volunteer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These folks should be able to fix you up;
    http://www.stouffer.net/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    These folks should be able to fix you up;
    http://www.stouffer.net/
    Make sure you get a calibrated step wedge. They will mark the actual values for each of the steps, and then you can check your densitometer at more than one value.

If you really don't want to spend the money, shoot a test frame and mail it to me and I'll read it for you. Send it with a self addressed stamped envelope and I can get then get it back to you. Or just cut it in half and mail me one half. The other should be very close. PM me for my address if you want to go this route.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    When I was repairing my density meter, I spoke with the guys at the factory and they told me the best way to calibrate it was to adjust the low density by using no filter at all, then adjust the high density with a Wratten 2.0 neutral density gel filter. I already had one, so I was able to calibrate immediately. You simply adjust your densitometer until it reads 2.0 while lit through the filter. They also told me that it was how they do it at the factory for white and color channels.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just yesterday, someone posted a FS thread here that had a Stauffer step wedge for $5. Look for it.
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin