Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,740   Online: 955

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find it's a matter of preference, most of my work with the RB was tabletop commercial photography over the last 25+ years, the OOF highlights had the sieve pattern in them, exactly the same as the Imagon does. (both of which I've used frequently over my career) Aesthetically, I find it distracting.

While acceptable when you are shooting landscape or people and can tweak camera positioning and the like, in a commercial setting where you are shooting to a layout, and the AD want's an OOF background, when specular highlights are existent, it really can look bad. Even now, when shooting with a Dicomed scan back, I tend to avoid using the sieves and reach for an ND or decrease my line time (same as increasing shutter speed) if needed.

When you get the lens, from wherever, try it with and without sieves, wide open or close to it, and let me know, I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i am curious about how you folks focus with this lens ..
    i have the instructions that came with my portrait veritar
    and it suggests the user stop down to f8, focus, then open it up
    for the soft effect. with the lens perry is asking about
    is it possible to stop down, seeing it is an slr type camera, how do you stop down
    and focus ... do you have to use the DOF preview button ?

sorry to hijack your thread perry --
    good luck with the wedding!

john
    Yes stop down to f8 and there's a DOF preview lever that stays put until you bring it back.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Way View Post
    Thanks for the ideas guys!

About the disks, from what I've read, the disks main purpose is to adjust the f-stop to dimmer. When shooting with lighting, what if you can't make anything work wide open at f4? Then pop in a disk, go down to f5.6 and f8 and f16. That's the purpose of them.

From what I can figure out on my own, the diffusion disks also add a zone sieve effect to the optics so as they limit the light going through the lens they add their own diffusion which ups the soft focus ability.

I intuit these disks being highly necessary!

Oh, and John, you can stop down a Mamiya RB67 lens (I just don't recall at the moment how) but it's a several step process IIRC...

I've got a lens I'm bidding on at the moment. Going to let that play out first since I bid a high amount and haven't been outbid yet.
    Actually the disks are #1 (5), #2 (5.6), #3 (6.3). At f8 or smaller the lens is fully normal, the soft effect is gone.

I believe you are right about using the disks to stop down a bit, they do modify, but also help retain the effect, more than simply stopping down directly to the equivalent stop.

You'll be wanting some slow film.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I found a suitable lens. Actually I found several but I lost auctions until I found one listed as perfect and it had a Buy-it Now so I bought it 10 minutes ago rather than roll the dice again. Anyway this one came from a photographer, so I feel much better buying this one. Thanks to those who posted here. It's incredible the differences that exist between many photographers in one setting.

Oh, and I got it for $187 shipped. Not a bad price at all for perfect, with front/rear cap, lens hood and filter.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin