Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,407   Online: 889

Shooter
    Multi Format

WTB: 4x5 Film Drum, possibly others.

I'm on the lookout for a drum to do 4x5 film. Pretty much any kind will do, so long as it's set up for 4x5.

I'm also somewhat interested in 11x14 and 16x20 drums if the price is not too terribly high.

Thanks.

Images
    Good Evening, c. w.,

Drums originally intended for processing 8 x 10 color prints are readily available on the used market for next to nothing. They will handle, of course, four 4 x 5 sheets. That works out well because four sheets will fit neatly on an 8 x 10 contact sheet. Unicolor, Beseler, and Chromega are well-known brands. I strongly recommend the Chromega; it doesn't leak as the Unicolor drums are often reputed to do. Whatever the brand, be sure that the drum comes with any necessary ribs and spacers. I have used the same Chromega drum to process 4 x 5 film for over twenty-five years and never encountered the slightest problem, except once when I carelessly failed to fit the cap on properly--that can cause a mess!

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder if the Ilford Cibachrome 4x5 Print Drums would work for film. I have a couple of brand new ones and thought it may be useful if it does. Anyone?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My local camera shop had a few 8x10 Cibachrome drums lying around, so I looked at them. They do not have the internal ribs: the insides are smooth. I don't know how good they would be for film because of that. Unicolor print drums do have the ribs and are what I bought eventually. I haven't shot any sheet film this winter yet to try them out, though!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm a big fan of the Beseler drums and have one of each. The ribs for the smaller ones can be easy to lose, so make sure they're included.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Konical View Post
    Drums originally intended for processing 8 x 10 color prints are readily available on the used market for next to nothing. They will handle, of course, four 4 x 5 sheets. That works out well because four sheets will fit neatly on an 8 x 10 contact sheet. Unicolor, Beseler, and Chromega are well-known brands. I strongly recommend the Chromega; it doesn't leak as the Unicolor drums are often reputed to do. Whatever the brand, be sure that the drum comes with any necessary ribs and spacers.l
    Yep, that's what I'm looking for. I just didn't see any in the classifieds at the moment and don't really want to deal with eBay. If it helps i am in the US.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bump. Still looking for one of these.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin