Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,504   Posts: 1,645,129   Online: 763

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Looking for UV lenses for all cameras, especially Zeiss UV-Sonnar & UV Rodagon 150mm

Looking for UV lenses for any and all cameras. Most especially the Zeiss UV-Sonnar 4.3/105mm and the Rodenstock UV-Rodagon 5.6/150mm. All others considered too. Please let me know if you know of anyone out there with such extraordinarily rare lenses. thank you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You probably know this already, but if your purpose is to shoot UV, I would suggest looking at apo process lenses.

Also, it seems that one of the most knowledgeable people, when it comes to UV lenses, is Bjørn Rørslett.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry Keith,

But.... any and all apochromat process lenses I've had my hands on, have had glass elements. To transmit the UV wavelengths the elements made of fluorite and/or quartz. Pentax produced a limited number of their 85mm/f4.5 Ultra Achromats. (There's one about 4 feet from me right now). Nikon also marketed lenses suitable for UV transmission with the original F line)

Ken
    There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in,
    But they're ever so small that's why rain is thin.
    Spike Milligan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, you don't need fluorite for UV... unless you mean deep UV. What is your purpose? What wavelength are you aiming for? With fused quartz you can go way past the 360nm cutoff of ordinary glass.

Anyway, if you want to try to track down those other lenses, best of luck to you, and I think Rørslett is your man!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are interested, Zeiss also make microscope optics for transmitted UV work, including condensers and projection eyepieces for micro-photography. Production quantities were very low for some of those catalog items, like approx 100 units over twenty years. I gather hen's teeth are easier to find.

The microscope optics work down to around 190 nm, at which point atmospheric absorption of uv becomes a problem.
    Bob

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    thanks everyone.. not sure microscope optics will work for me as i am aiming for medium and large format work and so need big image circles. but possibly...?
    i now have a dokter wetzlar germinar-W process lens and will test it, along with the UV-sonnar 105mm that i managed to find. fingers crossed!
    any other ideas or thoughts very much appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Something I thought of doing a long time ago but never got around to it: you could probably purchase individual fused quartz elements and achromats from Edmund Scientific and put together something like a tessar with high UV transmission.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bjørn Rørslett mentions a Nikon enlarger lens, 63mm I forget if it's the f3.5 or the f2.8 which transmits UV. No shutter, but available second hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    Bjørn Rørslett mentions a Nikon enlarger lens, 63mm I forget if it's the f3.5 or the f2.8 which transmits UV. No shutter, but available second hand.
    KEH has one for sale.
    wish i could afford it but i cant i am also looking for UV lens just more for my Fuji IS pro more 35mm format or larger or smaller i just dont have a huge budget.

http://www.kehblog.com/2011/06/two-s...ad-lenses.html

http://www.keh.com/camera/Hasselblad...9119741Z?r=FE#

company 7 a local shop to me sells on hand.

http://www.company7.com/nikon/lens/0105f4.5uv.html

Joey
    Last edited by NA_Joey; 07-23-2012 at 09:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin