Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,923   Posts: 1,584,984   Online: 1081

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaDittmer View Post
    Hi! I've got a lens & shutter purchased from a fellow lg. format member. He's getting a lens board all ready for it as well which is very kind of him. It's a Wollensak Velostigmat 9 1/2" Series II f4.5 in a Betax 4 shutter.
    Unfortunately that 9.5 inch lens does not cover the 8x10 format wide open. Meaning the image circle it projects is not big enough to cover the 8x10 film. That lens was meant for 6.5x8.5 film (called whole plate size.) Stopped down to f32-64 at close distances it may cover 8x10, but without any movements, and for portraits you often want to shoot wide open, or a stop or two closed down.

Better choice would be the 12" version of this lens.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 03-27-2012 at 01:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Yes, you've purchased a lens that will not give you any room to move within the projected image circle. Normal focal length for 8x10 is 300mm or 12 inches. You have purchased a 240mm or 9.5 inch lens, which, if it covered the 8x10 format, is a moderate wide-angle, similar to a 35mm lens on a 35mm camera. Not ideal for portraiture.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hmm, this seller on the large format forum assured me this one would work for what I need. I had planned to buy a 12" but then this was suggested - I guess I'll see what I can do with it as I can't afford another lens already. I have a 480 for it but it's too long for my bellows length. It was one I had purchased quite a while back cheap. So...I've got to work with what I have for now. I do have 8x10 holders now thanks to a fellow apug member here who has sent me some for a good price.
    thanks!
    j e s s i c a | d i t t m e r

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Perhaps it was just an honest mistake on the part of an inexperienced seller. If so, he/she should take it back and refund postage fees. The 12" tessar type lenses are very common and fairly cheap.

Here is the page from the 1935 Wollensak catalog (cameraeccentric.com). The tables says the 9.5 inch is for 6.5x8.5in format. Note where it suggests going up in lens size for portraits.

Jon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wollensak_17_05.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	386.5 KB 
ID:	48687
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks! That's a neat page- I'm keeping my eye out for a 12" too and hope to pick one up sometime.
    j e s s i c a | d i t t m e r

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin